• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Progress a rejected PPI claim to court using litigation team from Claim Company

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress a rejected PPI claim to court using litigation team from Claim Company

Hello

I'm new here, so hope I am following the correct procedure. Apologise if not.

I was wondering if anyone would be prepared to offer a little guidance please?

I know this is a little controversial, but a few months ago I used a company called Civil Claims to look into whether I was owed any money from PPI.
    (I know. I had my reasons. I have no concerns about their service, and I have indeed had some money back (and yes, they took their cut)

Where I seek guidance, is that for one of the PPI claims where I technically got rejected on a claim - but still rewarded a payment (can elaborate when relevant) - they have suggested I pursue this case further - to court (based on the fact that other claimants got more), on a "no win, no fee" status. I have written to them directly and they have confirmed that there is no way I should incur any costs (due to an insurance they take out)... but it's making me a bit nervous. (I realise I obviously don't have to do this, but the carrot has been dangled, and frankly I could do with the money). It's for a credit card agreement I had with Lloyds Bank YEARS AGO! - maybe 18 years ago.

I can elaborate further of course, and wondered if anyone would be able to look at paperwork from Rowan Rose the solicitors they plan to use. (I believe these guys are not that highly thought of... but suspect if they are taking on cases like this...!)

I hope it is OK to ask about this on here, it's a dubious area I do realise... am I being a mug to even consider pursuing?

Thank you in advance.
    Tags: None

Do you know why they are referring you to court proceedings - hidden commissions ? Plevin ? ( see https://www.rowanrose.co.uk/plevin-ppi-claims/) unfair relationship ? Why did your original claim get turned down ( and how did that result in a (partial?) refund ? It was a credit card account originally ?

based on others got more doesn't seem a good reason ... if you had ppi and it was missold you should get back the ppi premiums paid plus any adjustment to interest and the 8% pa interest. Have they given you the calculations ?

Have they provided client care letter / agreement and information on their 'no win no fee' arrangement and insurance ? Is it a conditional fee arrangement maybe ? ATE insurance ?

Is the CMC ' civil claim services ltd' ?

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. My responses:

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      Do you know why they are referring you to court proceedings - hidden commissions?

The report I got back from Lloyds Bank states this:

"Based on the information available, I've reviewed your PPI mis-selling complaint... but I've not found reason to uphold your complaint." [prob fair!]

"When we sold PPI, we did not inform you that we would receive a commission and a share of any related profits from the insurance company… I've concluded that an Unfair Relationship was created during the sale of your PPI policy."

"To put things right, we will pay you £xxx…"...

So i think that is Plevin? It's for the commission and not the mis-sell?

Have they given you the calculations?
      Yes. Do you need/want to know this bit?!:
      I took the card out in 1998 and shut it in March 2011. I have no paperwork at all (would they have balance statements do you know? A guy phoned me up to quiz me about the claim, and said he had a copy of my application form and could see i had ticked a box to opt for PPI. Surely they could drag out statements then?!)

The calculations seem odd to my highly inexperienced eye! They state my card balance in March 2011 as £0 (it may have been).
      But have given £xxx figure for the "difference in payments due to commission and profit share rate".
      Then have added on compensatory interest @ 8%

Have they provided client care letter / agreement and information on their 'no win no fee' arrangement and insurance? Is it a conditional fee arrangement maybe? ATE insurance?
      Rowan Rose have given me a letter of engagement, told me who my case handler is, and that it's a no win no fee arrangement.

In correspondence from the litigation team they state this:
      No Win No Fee- In the event the case goes to court the solicitors will take out an insurance policy on behalf of the client. If the claim is successful, the disbursements are covered by the defendant (the bank). The insurance policy will cover all your costs in the event the claim is unsuccessful. If you happen to have legal expenses insurance, you will not need this.

Is the CMC ' civil claim services ltd' ?
      Yes CMC is Civil Claims Services Ltd?

Having written this all out to you, it is starting to make more sense to me.

Obviously they are going to take a big fat commission, but i would never do this on my own.

So I suppose my main concern is, if you are in a position to answer this - is the no win, no fee arrangement normal? Do you know if there is anyway I could get stung and owe money...

Thank you so much, and hope my first posting isn't too lengthy and unreasonable!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X