• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

After VT-ing my Mercedes . - Court Papers Received ** ARRRGHHHH!!**

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After VT-ing my Mercedes . - Court Papers Received ** ARRRGHHHH!!**

Having VT'd my car at the end of last year, I have jJust got the court papers from Mercedes Benz Financial Services claiming for the Excess Milage

Just going through the First Steps now. :-(

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 5th August 2019
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: Yes
    Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000) 3200
    Claimant’s Name: Mercedes Benz Financial Services
    Solicitors Firm:Mortimer Clarke
    Original Creditor: Mercedes Benz Financial
    Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) : Car Finance
    Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):

By Aagreement in writing in *november 2015* the Claimant agreed to hire a vehicle to the Defendant for an agreed term in return for the monthly fee (the Agreement). THr defendant has returned the vehicle to the claimanf. Undert he terms of the Agreement the Defendant has agreed to pay any costs and or charges associated with the vehicle damage, excess milage and or rental. These sums are now due

Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?):
    List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): Not yet.
    Any Other Information or Background Details:
    At the end of last year I VT'd my Mercedes. They duely sent along the request for excess milage. After I rejected this several times under CCA they threated to take this to court to recover the money. This afternoon I received the court papers.
    Tags: None

Hadn't logged in when I created this. I am scared though!

Comment

Hello

So what do you want to do, defend it or admit and pay up?

It usually takes around 6-8 months from issuing a claim to a hearing. In that time you could mitigate risks by saving some money aside each month just in case you do defend it and everything goes to pot at the hearing.

Their particulars of claim are poor, they don't really disclose a reasonable cause of action, its misleading because they say you handed it back but actually you terminated the agreement which is not quite the same thing.

If you want to defend, I can support you where possible but ultimately if it gets to a hearing, you will need to do that part yourself, unless you obtain legal representation. Consider seeing if you have legal expenses coverage.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I think the plan is to defend it and save. That seems like a good idea.

Comment

Just written my letter for a copy of my agreement. I'll send that off. Do I include the #1 cheque the letter to mercedes finance or their solicitor (the solicitor is listed as 'Address for Sending Documents & Papers) on the claim form.

Comment

Blimey they have finally grown a spine and litigated one, id have thought their ass whooping in the last mercedes case would have taught them a lesson, seems not.

I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Why don't you make a subject access request for a copy of the agreement free of charge.

There's some example defences lying around on this forum somewhere, I'll see if I can hunt one out and give you a starting point.
              If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER
              Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

What solicitors are dealing with this claim? is it Shoosmiths?
                I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

Their Solicitor is Mortimer Clarke

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
                    Why don't you make a subject access request for a copy of the agreement free of charge.

There's some example defences lying around on this forum somewhere, I'll see if I can hunt one out and give you a starting point.

Thanks, I am only sending a £1 cheque as its what is says in the first steps

Comment

Originally posted by ash032 View Post
                      Their Solicitor is Mortimer Clarke
                      I know i shouldnt laugh.................. anyway, It seems to me they are going to have a bit of an uphill struggle with this case. I agree with Rob, no point paying for the agreement, you have the right to a copy under the CPR and DSAR too, a s78 request is pointless because the agreement is terminated, so i cant see much benefit in asking when you have to spend a £1.00 too, especially when you can get it for free.

Comment

I reckon PT they are trying their luck on the basis that £3200 is a decent amount of charges for excess mileage. One thing that strikes me is that their particulars of claim infers that they are relying on the terms of the agreement and not, for example s.100(4) which is the reasonable care requirement.

I suspect that we might see MC or Mercedes try to plead further particulars along those lines and I think Ash032 you would be wise to objecting to any pleadings around s.100(4) since it was actually pleaded in the particulars of claim.

Anyway there's arguments around that so no big deal but if you can get it chucked out at the beginning of the hearing it's one less thing to worry about.

assuming you've already acknowledged the claim you've got 33 days from 5 August to file your defence - my advice to you, do not rush out a defence as you might regret it in the long run.

I'm thinking a fairly short and to the point defence with reference to their previous case which they lost ought to be sufficient and the rest can be argued at the hearing.
                        LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

I think I know why they are trying argue that the money is due under the terms of the agreement rather than s.100(4). When I went to do my Vt I had not paid the 50% due in the agreement. So, on the 1st November I wrote to MB Finance and Cancelled the agreement using VT. I made the necessary extra payment to take me to a few pounds over the 50%. On the 8th of Nov, I got an email acknowledging my VT request and the 'overpayment'. They said they were going to arrange for the 'overpayment' to be returned to me. I immediately replied saying the the agreement had now been terminated, and taking into account the extra payment I had made, I had paid the correct amount to be able to VT the agreement. I also said in the email that if they did give me a refund, as the agreement had ALREADY been terminated I would treat any refunds as an unsolicited gift.

On the 19th December - they return the 'overpayment' to my account (Over a month later).

I'm assuming they are going to try this to argue that the VT wasn't valid - although I am working on the principle that the the VT happened on the 5th November (Termination letter posted Friday 2nd, first thing - so first working day following 5th).

Working with the idea that if I save while fighting the worse that'll happen is that I will have to pay at the end!!

Comment

R0b. Is there some guidance for filing my defence for this. I've tried looking around but can't seem to find it

Comment

Sorry I can't seem to find anything myself.. I will try to cobble something together later tonight as a starting point for you to work on.
                              LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X