• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt collection agency for utility bill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt collection agency for utility bill

Hi,

Don’t know if any other landlord has been in this situation and can give advice. I have a received a letter from a debt collection agency for a gas bill for my rental property saying they have bought this debt from an energy company and now own the debt and telling me I need to pay. I have no knowledge of any debt and have received no bills or reminders about this until now.

Having contacted the energy company in question, they have informed me this was for standing charges dating back three years on the prepayment meter at the property for a period of four months, while the bill was in my name (property was vacant at the time).

They state they have tried to contact me by email and post, and have sent 3 bills to me. News to me - not received anything, hence the surprise to suddenly hear from a debt company!

I will say that the email address they will have had at the time was closed around 9 months after they say the bill was from, so it’s possible that emails were sent but not received. However I always provide a correspondence address for all bills on my rental property but have received nothing from the energy company. They must have my correspondence address though, as that’s where this latest letter has been sent to.

My question is what to do? The energy company won’t comment any further as they have sold this debt on - I have responded to the debt company with a ‘prove it’ letter asking for evidence that I owe something but they’re asking for more information to ‘verify my identity’, which I’m reluctant to provide.

At the end of the day it could be possible that I do owe a outstanding amount (we’re only talking 30 odd quid), but my argument is the bill has never been received as I have never received a bill - no doubt if one was sent by post, it went to the supply address which would have been tenanted by then. So I have seen nothing to prove I actually owe anything. Having been reading up on this company I’m concerned that my credit report will take a hit if I don’t pay - and even if I do pay, which would be me accepting liability on a bill I’m disputing. Any thoughts or advice appreciated!
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X