• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HMRC did me over

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HMRC did me over

I recieved a letter from the HMRC to inform me of a £398 overpayment from last year, they infomed me that they would be taking 100% of the overpayment out of my next payment which was due 4 days after i recieved the letter. I called the HMRC to state that i was in no position to lose half of my monthly payment, i was informed that if i couldn't afford the repayment i had to fill in an online form which has a 2 week response time. They have taken the payment and left me in serious financial difficulty. I don't believe they acted lawfully and would like to know if i have grounds to act.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by Guest View Post
    I recieved a letter from the HMRC to inform me of a £398 overpayment from last year, they infomed me that they would be taking 100% of the overpayment out of my next payment which was due 4 days after i recieved the letter. I called the HMRC to state that i was in no position to lose half of my monthly payment, i was informed that if i couldn't afford the repayment i had to fill in an online form which has a 2 week response time. They have taken the payment and left me in serious financial difficulty. I don't believe they acted lawfully and would like to know if i have grounds to act.
    I should state it was child tax credits

Comment

I take it they do what they like...

Comment

In view of the urgency you are probably best of talking to Citizen Advice, as they can contact HMRC by phone for you and possibly arrange time to repay in instalments

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          In view of the urgency you are probably best of talking to Citizen Advice, as they can contact HMRC by phone for you and possibly arrange time to repay in instalments
          Theyve taken the money, i'm now behind on rent, council tax, i'm hungry so the kids can eat, i phoned and that was the response i got, you can make an appeal online but it has a 2 week response time and they told me 4 days before i was to get the payment, when they can allow upto 12 months to pay back an overpayment, so why was i singled out.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear of your problems.

If CAB haven't been of any use, do use their online complaints procedure (https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-hmrc) and also contact your MP (https://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/contact-your-mp/)

CAB should also be able to help you deal with unpaid bills like rent and council tax, and point you in direction of where to obtain help locally

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X