• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

SME Question - Unfair charges on ATM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SME Question - Unfair charges on ATM

Hi my friend was operating a small business and applied for PayPoint terminal, this was approved and the BDM basically said that it would be approved if she took on their ATM the business did not make enough to satisfy the terms of operating the ATM and it was only after the installation that they advised her that £600 would need to be deposited into the ATM daily. after a few months the use of the ATM declined due to the charges it took from users. when she stopped using the ATM due to the decline Paypoint thereafter started to charge £80 +VAT weekly for non compliance several times complaints where made and they discharged some of the charges but then continued the following week. after several months another business which already had a Paypoint terminal was given an ATM to operate with no charges to the customer but Paypoint continued to charge customers on this ATM, the business eventually folded and I have calculated that approximately £9,000 has been [aid on these charges. What would the first step be to make a complaint and move forward? Your advice would be appreciated.
    Tags: None

Hello
    If, as you are suggesting, that the business was told after £600 would need to be deposited daily, then the business can argue that it did not agree to those terms at the time of signing up. However, I suspect it would have been in the terms and conditions signed by the business and if the business didn't bother to read them, the general rule of tough luck applies. The law will not re-write a contract or allow a business to get out of an agreement because they have made a bad bargain.

When you say the business has folded, was the business a limited company or some other business structure i.e. sole trader?

As a business, it's probably going to be difficult arguing unfair charges and recovery of them as the courts tend not to disturb business to business transactions.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks Rob, it was a sole trader the contract was fulfilled up until the time it closed, my thought on the matter was that they seem excessive charges and also when complained they on occasions waived the charges.
      The other factor was that why did the business not offer the same or similar terms of another trader approx 150yards away.
      ​​​​When the business complained a new contract was sent with zero fees but had to be signed up for 5 year's
      So this therefore meant a new contract agreement. I do believe that she was mislead by the Business Development Manager who said that other services would only be given on the basis of installation of the Atm. Am I correct in thinking that she should pursue a complaint based on excessive charges.. Any guidance would be appreciated thank you

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X