• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Confused

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused

The deputy district judge sitting in county court made an order upon reading the defence letter from 3 months ago saying the defendant has permission to file and serve an amended defence.
    why would he do that but more importantly should I apply to have the order set aside since I believe he had no defence to what they did to me ?
    Tags: None

Hi & welcome to LB.

Did the defendant make an application to amend, or has the DDJ decided this way forward him/herself (of his/her own volition)?
    Presumably this was without hearing?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi
      thank you for your welcome.
      yes the DDJ did it himself and yes without a hearing.
      it seems strange because the defendant is a solicitor and I'm wondering if there's collusion going on

Comment

Do you have a copy of the defence? It may be the original wasn't compliant with the Practice Directions. If you can redact and post we might have a better idea as to the reason.

Had you filed a reply to the Defence ?

Have Directions Questionnaires been completed and filed ? and the case transferred to the parties local court ?

Is their a sanction for non compliance included on the order ?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi,
          yes I have a copy to the defence dated 23 April 2019 , it says 'the defendant was not in breach of its covenant for quite enjoyment given the claimant (that's me) could have left the premises but chose not to do so'.

I have not filed a reply to the defence, I did not know I had to at this time.

No direction questions have been filed or asked for.

Yes there is a sanction saying they must comply with the order otherwise it's liable to be struck off.

I just don't get why the judge offered them an amended defence opportunity ?

Comment

Originally posted by Knowmore View Post
            Hi,
            yes I have a copy to the defence dated 23 April 2019 , it says 'the defendant was not in breach of its covenant for quite enjoyment given the claimant (that's me) could have left the premises but chose not to do so'.
            So you (Claimant) could have avoided interference of your right to quiet enjoyment of the premises by leaving the premises?

That makes sense.....Not!

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Is the case against your landlord ? Pre notified building work ?

If the judge was minded to strike out the defence without a hearing or application then it is standard for them to give notice to the party, if the defendant doesn't comply the defence would be struck out and you would be able to obtain a default judgement against them.
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X