• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PCP voluntary termination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCP voluntary termination

Hi everyone this is my first thread and I would be grateful for some input regarding where I stand legally
    All I am trying to do is hand back a vehicle which I can no longer afford due to changes in my employment status.
    I have received a figure from the finance company which I agree with and I will put that in place next week, but my question is about mileage excess as I am almost 5000 miles over the pro rata calculation and I have been advised the vehicle is to be inspected under BRVLA guidlines before being picked up.
    Do I legally have to pay excess mileage and do I have a choice regarding the inspection as I can find nothing in the original contract which covers this topic

Many thanks in anticipation for your assistance
    Tags: None

Hello

Finance companies will argue that excess mileage is recoverable under the contract. The Consumer Credit Act says your liability is capped to 50% of the total price, excluding compensation for breach of contract - there is a county court decision that confirms this position when Mercedes tried it on and lost.

I suggest you read the VT Guide which should tell you everything you need to know but also do some research in the Vehicle and Finance Issues sub-forum, there are plenty of posts there. It is then up to you to decide if you want to pay for excess mileage charges.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you Rob
      I will check out the two links
      There is another issue I am not quite getting if you can kindly help
      I was led to believe that to reach the 50% amount which triggers vt compliance was half of the amount borrowed plus interest and an administration fee
      What BMW have done is added my advance payment on top of the cost of the car and interest. This they have labelled Total Amount Payable and then calculated 50% of this figure as the vt settlement. Can this be correct as it means that I am paying half of my own advance payment of in this case £4400.00 over 50% of the borrowed sum and interest.
      Does this make sense

Comment

R0b - I have read your guide which was very useful. I am also considering starting the voluntary termination process on my PCP plan however, how do I know if I have paid 50%? If I start the process and I haven't what will happen? Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Wovoka View Post
          Thank you Rob
          I will check out the two links
          There is another issue I am not quite getting if you can kindly help
          I was led to believe that to reach the 50% amount which triggers vt compliance was half of the amount borrowed plus interest and an administration fee
          What BMW have done is added my advance payment on top of the cost of the car and interest. This they have labelled Total Amount Payable and then calculated 50% of this figure as the vt settlement. Can this be correct as it means that I am paying half of my own advance payment of in this case £4400.00 over 50% of the borrowed sum and interest.
          Does this make sense
          The total price payable includes any advance payment or deposit, but the deposit or advance payment will be added to any instalments already paid to meet the 50% mark. For example, if the total price is £10,000 and you make an advance payment of £4,000 with £200 instalments, you would only need to pay 5 instalments before you became eligible to VT the agreement (£4,000 + £200 x 5 = £1,000 = £5,000 being 50% of the total price).

emjane79 use the method I've given above. You add together any advance payment or deposit and then calculate how many monthly instalments you have paid. Add them together and then if that amount equals 50% of the total price payable (which you should find on the front end of your agreement) then you can VT without liability.

You can also VT earlier but you would be liable to pay the remaining balance to make up the 50%. You could for example, VT after the second month and repay the remaining 50% balance, that is your right. It is a myth and especially by finance companies to say you must have paid 50% before you can VT and if they refuse to accept your VT, then they would be liable for what is known as a repudiatory breach entitling you to accept their breach, terminate the agreement and discharge all future obligations
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X