• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Charging Orders on shared properties

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging Orders on shared properties

Hello,

Following the divorce of my parents back in the early 90s, it was agreed that my father would pay my mother's legal fees. This debt was security against my father's share in the family home (25%).

My father went on to remarry.

In December 2017, my father passed away. He had made a will many years earlier, and had appointed his wife as the sole executor of his estate. Myself and my brother were the beneficiaries of his share in the house he shared with my mother. His wife was the sole beneficiary of the remainder of his estate. In addition, upon his death his 3 children were provided with a letter he had apparently dictated to his wife, which along with confirming my brother an i as beneficiaries of his share in my mother's home, but also suggests upon his wife's death, we would also benefit from his share in that property.

In an effort to help my father's wife, I obtained details of the divorce settlement and charging order and provided them to her. She has refused to pay, instead saying 'we'd had enough out of them', and saying my brother and I should settle this debt.

In the subsequent 18 months+, she has avoided engaging with us with regards to my father's estate, choosing to not provide any details or updates and when directly asked refused to provide us with anything meaningful aside from grumbling about the number of phone calls she has needed to make.

She has recently stated that she has transferred his share of my mother's property into my mothers name, despite this not being his instructions. My mother has had no contact or communication to suggest this has happened.

She has also failed to make any attempt to repay his debt which is secured against my mother's property.

I've seen the court order from my parents divorce, and it is clear that this is my father's debt, and it is secured against my father's interest in the property. It is also clear that my father has no rights to the property unless my mother chooses to sell it, or she dies first.

How can i resolve this?

1. Can a debt be transferred to another party? Ie. is this charge now the responsibility of myself an my brother as owners of my fathers share in the property?
    2. What happens to charging orders when the debtor dies, and the order is secured against a minority stake in a property?
    3. What happens if an executor refuses to recognise, ans subsequently settle a debt?

Thanks

J
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X