• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

British Gas warrant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Gas warrant

I received a hand delivered letter today stating that British Gas are applying for a warrant to enter my business premises and change the locks due to an alledged £16000 debt. My cafe is supplied by Npower and I have never received a bill from British Gas. I've spoken with them however they are insisting I owe them the money. Can someone please advise? Also, can the warrant be prevented? Thanks, Kerry
    Tags: None

Is this the first you have heard of any debt with British Gas?

Is the letter addressed to you or just the property address? How long have you been at those premises ?

Have you asked BG to provide copies of the bills /documentation showing that you owe this amount ?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hello.
      There was a man sitting outside the cafe in a van with British Gas on the dashboard a few weeks ago. He was there for a few hours. I locked up and when I returned the next day there was a letter stating that I owed £16000 and they had been unable to contact me. I telephoned immediately and explained that they must be mistaken because the power was transferred to NPower 16 months ago when I took over the premises and they fitted new metres and 3phase power supply for the kitchen. I have never received a bill, demand for payment etc from British Gas prior to then. The hand delivered letter came to my home address today. Again, I have never received any correspondence there either.

Comment

If you are absolutely confident that the debt does not relate to you in any way, and you can prove that you were with EDF when you first moved into the property, if it were me I would be taking steps to put British Gas on notice and write to them that they have the wrong person.

The contents of the letter would include something like the following:

1. This is the first ever letter you've received from British Gas and you wholly refute their suggestion that they have made attempts to contact you.
        2. You moved into the property on X date and since then you have always had an energy supply with EDF, enclose evidence as confirmation. At no point have you had any contact or correspondence from British Gas and require them to provide evidence of the same.
        3. Based on the above, you should request that British Gas suspend all action including the obtaining of any warrant to discuss the matter as you believe they have got the wrong person.
        4. In the course of applying for the warrant, they have a duty to give full and frank disclosure to the Magistrates' Court in respect of your arguments made out to British Gas concerning the alleged debt.
        5. In the event that a warrant of entry is granted and they exercise the same, then this letter/email serves as notice that you will consider legal action against British Gas for any and all loss or damage suffered by your business as a result of their negligence together with any other remedy you may be entitled to.

One thing that I'm curious about is that you've said that British Gas will come and change the locks; is that actually what the letter says, because changing the locks would in effect lock you out of your own premises and on the face of it, I can't see what legal right British Gas are entitled to do that. Under the Rights of Entry (Gas and Electricity Boards) Act 1954 they can obtain a warrant to enter the premises and that includes using a locksmith to break entry but they also have to make good and make it safe again in the same way it was before they made entry.

Can you upload the letter so we can actually see what it says?
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X