• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dad died intestate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad died intestate

So my Dad died intestate.

We (the children) were the process of renovating the family home as a holiday let - just so we could pay the care home costs. We were right at the point of signing the rental agreement via a Power of Attorney we had over Dads affairs when he died.

I'm now worried that since the POA is now meaningless, and the ownership of the house is now undetermined (unless the intestate process is completed), the house will have to sit empty for up to a year instead of doing what it was designed to do (i.e. generate an income stream). It will however continue to cost money to run, so no idea where that money is coming from.

I was hoping that we could get the house on the market asap, and the profit would go into dads estate for later apportionment. - but I don't know if that is possible.
    Tags: None

The executor could rent out the property as they have a duty to minimize loss

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
      The executor could rent out the property as they have a duty to minimize loss
      So the most important thing in the short term is to get an executor appointed I guess? (there isn't one right now as no executable will)

Comment

Somebody will have to apply for probate so sooner rather than later.

So it is not impossible to continue renting out but all income must go into the estate so would be advantageous to open a separate bank account.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X