• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt Collectors for Previous Tenant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt Collectors for Previous Tenant

I have started receiving letters for debts from a debt collection agency for unpaid utility bills from before I moved in.
    I have been opening the letters as they aren't addressed to anyone by name but rather "Occupier Owner".
    I have read on other forums if it's not addressed to you it's not a problem but since there's no name here I'm slightly concerned for the following reasons:
    1. If there's no name and it's just listed under the address then can some sort of CCJ be filed against me using the information from electoral registers etc? Or put some sort of black mark on the address?
    2. Should I contact the company to tell them it's not for me. I have been reluctant to try that so far as I didn't want to acknowledge anything and then start pestering me about it, and also don't really fancy the trouble of this company demanding that I somehow have to prove that it's not for me.
    Any help greatly appreciated!
    Tags: None

The debt collection agency and the utility company they act for will know the name of the person who owes the debt. So any legal proceedings would be initiated against that person. The use of "Occupier/Owner" is just a tactic used for the person they believe to owe the debt to open the letter and read it.

Presumably you have a tenancy agreement or evidence of purchase, so the easiest thing to do is to contact the debt collection company and say you've just moved in and received these letters. Explain the debt appears to relate to an earlier period of time prior to you moving into the property and so they should update their records.

Some debt collectors can be a bit slippery so you should follow up the call with an email (if not possible a letter) confirming what was discussed and the name of the person you spoke to. If they try to chase you for the debt then you will be able to point to the email and the call you made to them. Of course if they persist then you can make a complaint of harassment.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X