• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Severe Mental Impairment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severe Mental Impairment

Hi Everyone...is there anyone who can please clarify exactly what it means when claiming a refund for council tax when you have been accepted as having SMI, when they say "must have an underlying entitlement to certain benefits". I have read everything I can find on this subject as my LA are doing everything they can to get out of backdating my discount. From what I have found on the subject you do not have to have claimed one of the qualifying benefits..just have been entitled to due to your impairment. However having spoken to the DWP they cannot issue letters stating you are or indeed would have been entitled to these benefits. All that is available are your award letters once you claim. If, like myself your impairment means you didn't know about these benefits until a care worker gave you advice and claimed for you, there is no way you can get written proof of historic entitlement. In fact back in 2004 when my mental impairment started PIP didn't exist!
    I might be being stupid but surely if your GP or consultant signs a medical certificate declaring when your condition started, and this condition entitles you to one of these benefits, then that should be all they need as proof.
    Can anyone please clarify?
    Tags: None

DWP will not issue letters confirming a person may have been entitled to a state benefit as they will not put themselves in a position where they have not fully assessed a person. In the decade and a half I've been dealing with council tax and tribunals I'm not aware of anyone winning on the basis of 'entitlement' rather then actual 'receipt'.

The problem is that you may have, on the face of it, met all the medical criteria but an in-depth assessment may have found a reason why you were not entitled after all (for many different reasons). A relatively recent Valuation Tribunal confirmed that councils are not there to determine entitlement to a state benefit as they are not qualified to determine DWP benefit entitlement.

SMI backdating can be a pain anyway - I've had several where I've had to take them to a Valuation Tribunal where councils have not backed down. Some you win and some you lose and that's where there is an accepted receipt of a qualifying benefit.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X