• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

** discontinued ** Need Help to write a Witness Statement #Amethyst

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ** discontinued ** Need Help to write a Witness Statement #Amethyst

Hello every one...
    I received a letter from Lowell Solicitor regarding vodafone contract in Dec 2018
    The letter stated that background of the claim: "On April 2014 you entered into an agreement with vodafone to provide you with a vodafone account. You failed to make payment in accordance with the terms of the agreement and it was later terminated and subsequently assigned to our client (Lowell portfolio) on August 2017".

I sent CPR and CCA request to Lowell Solicitor straight away. The LS replied that this matter relates to a former vodafone account opened on April 2014. As this is a former telecommunications matter it is not regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974, the original creditor is therefore not required to retain a copy of the agreement. Subsequently, we are unable to request a copy of this document. The account has been legally assigned to our client in accordance with S 136 of the law of property act 1925. our client is the legal owner of your account and no contract exists between you and our client.

In feb 2019, I received a county court business centre claim. The particulars of Claim " The defendant entered into an agreement with vodafone under account reference xxxx ('the agreeement'). The defendant failed to maintain the required payments and the service was terminated. The agreement was later assigned to the claimant on August 2017 and notice given to the Defendant. Despite repeated request for payment, the sum of 2200 remains due and outstanding.

In feb 2019, I again wrote to the LS repeated same CCA and CPR request and added a Sec of Contract Act 1999 sec 1, sub-sec 1-3
    But the LS did not provide me with anything mentioned in CCA and CPR.

I then submitted the following defence;

In the Northampton County Court Business Centre
    Claim No. xxx
    LOWELL PORTFOLIO I LTD CLAIMANT
    AND
    xxxxxxxxxxxx DEFENDANT

DEFENCE
    1. The Defendant received the claim number xxxx from the Northampton County Court Business Centre, NN1 2LH on date x Feb 2019.
    2. Each and Every allegation in the claimants’ statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this defence.
    3. It is admitted that the defendant entered into an agreement with Vodafone in April 2014 for 24 months. The Agreement provided both hardware of mobile phone and service of airtime.
    4. The Claimant states “The Defendant failed to maintain the required payments and the service was terminated. This is denied. The Defendant has made all of the agreed payments on time and the agreement was cancelled after 24 months period of the agreement with no outstanding payments due.

5. The Claimant’s solicitor wrote to the Defendant on date x/11/2018 stated the alleged debt without any proper supporting documents.
    6. On x/12/2018 the Defendant replied and submitted request via recorded delivery along with a postal order in sum of the statutory fee of £1 pursuant to S. 77-79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 for copies of the agreements, copies of all statements since inception of the account, in order to assess the breakdown of the alleged debt and to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.
    7. The Claimant’s Solicitor failed to provide it and simply stated that this is a former telecommunications matter it is not regulated by the Consumer Act 1974 and are unable to provide a copy of this document.
    8. On x/02/2018 the Defendant again asked the Claimant’s solicitor to provide a proof of the contract as per contract act 1999 Section 1, Sub-sections 1-3 which stipulates a third party must have been expressly identified in the original contract you signed.
    9. The Claimant’s solicitor failed to provide and responded that no contract exists between the Claimant and the Defendant and the account assigned to the Claimant. Also the Defendant reminded the Claimant’s solicitor to provide full disclosure of all of the files under the civil procedure rules31.6. But the Claimant’s solicitor failed again to provide it.
    10. This Agreement provided both the hardware of mobile phone and airtime but the Claimant’s solicitor failed to mention how the debt is apportioned between the two.
    The particulars of Claim are vague and insufficient and do not disclose an adequate statement of facts relating to or proceeding the alleged cause of action.
    11. The Claimants statement of case states that the agreement was assigned to the Claimant on 08/2017 and notice given to the Defendant. The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.
    12. Had the Defendant have received any notice from the Claimant he would have raised a complaint at the time. Therefore, the Claimant is required to prove that Notice was served upon the Defendant.

13. Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore, it is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

14. The Defendant requests the court with due respect to order the Claimants to provide all the necessary documentation, a full statement of account, a copy of the original agreement/contract on which the Claimant intends to rely, termination and or default notices and notice of assignment, in order for the Defendant to fully plead his case else the Claim should stand struck out.

15. In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimant, the Defendant will then be in a position to amend his defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.
    16. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.
    Statement of Truth
    The Defendant believes that the facts stated in this Defence are true.
    Signed xxxx
    Dated xxxx

Now I received a letter from LS along with vague statements of just 2016 relate to three different mobile numbers.
    I am gonna upload the letter and statements as well.

Any help will be highly appreciated.
    Last edited by Lawangeen; 31st May 2019, 01:47:AM.

#Amethyst

Comment

Have you emailed the letters and statements ?
      Do you recognise the three numbers referred to in the statements ?
      Did you SAR Vodafone ?
      And have you yet received a directions questionnaire from court ?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi Amethyst
        Thanks for your quick response.
        I am gonna upload the letter and statements when I finish my work.
        Yes I sent SAR to Vodafone but no response yet
        I already sent back the direction questionnaire with yes to mediation. As they did not provide me with the docs mentioned in my defence then the CCBC transferred the case to my local county court but the date for the hearing has not yet been given.

Comment

Okay good you're on track with the court process so yes, good idea to start preparing your witness statement - I'll keep an eye out for the docs later xx
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Hi Amethyst
            Please see attachment. Pages sequence from P001 to P48. But the maximum attachment allowed per post is 6. Therefore, I am gonna post them separately. As this is a public forum I have hidden some personal information.
            I really appreciate your help.
            Attached Files

Comment

Pages from P12 to P17.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Lawangeen; 31st May 2019, 01:05:AM.

Comment

From P42 to P47.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Lawangeen; 31st May 2019, 01:52:AM.

Comment

Last page P48.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wow thanks for doing all that. First thing then, do you recognise all three numbers ?

The package / bundle amount changes hugely from Oct to Dec ... do you recall why that was? ( the Dec 16 one seems far more reasonable - but maybe there were devices included in the monthly amount up to that point? because what the allowances are doesn't change - though I can't see any mention of devices)

2019-05-31 11_18_26-Start.png2019-05-31 11_18_42-Start.png
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X