• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

contesting my father and grandmothers will

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contesting my father and grandmothers will

In may 2018 my father passed away and I was 19 yrs old my brother was 27. He had remarried and had made a new will which left everything to his new wife, he had signed a document attached to the will saying that I should be excluded from the will although he wrote his own name wrong and mine. Unfortunately in Oct 2018 his mother my grandmother passed away and in her will in the event of her son pre deceasing him she left his share to his new wife. I have tried writing several letters to both solicitors asking for a larke v nugus information but they have not been very helpful. Several letters have gone backwards and forwards and today i received a letter saying that the beneficiaries (my two aunts and my stepmother) as going to apply to the high courts for rectification of the will as i believe the original solicitors who wrote the will missed out writing Section 33 of the wills act 1837. The solicitor has also not made it clear in writing about the share that my father should of received. My grandmother has chosen to exclude myself and my brother but not her two other grandchildren (in the event of their mother predeceasing my grandmother). My fathers share was to go to his wife/partner but at the time of my grandmothers death she was actually my fathers widow.
    I am currently studying in University and the government have the opinion that all biological parents have a responsibility to support children through their studies.

My mother is helping us pay the solicitor costs atm .

Does anyone know if will can be challenged and won or do most judges side with the beneficiaries of the estate. My grandmothers solicitors have said that if we challenge their application that they will ask for us to pay the costs. They are the ones taking it to court we aren't ?

Have we got a leg to stand on or really is it going to be a waste of time and money ?

Grandmothers estate is roughly about 100k ( fathers estate is 500k but i think we cannot claim even though there were several spelling mistakes in his letters.

any advice would be appreciated
    Tags: None

The reason I chose my forum name is cos throughout 9 years of being attorney to my mother’s EPA ( joint with sister) and now after mother’s death joint executor of will and joint beneficiary the law has worked against me. Sister lived near Mum so knew all banks,doctors,solicitor etc but she has pinched loads of money from estate.Very very difficult to get anyone to listen to the “ challenger”.
    Could you look into “ no win no fee” if you are in UK?
    I have paid for many solicitor’s letters that had no effect whatsoever so maybe be careful about what they undertake?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X