• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

20th Feb cautioned interview - heard nothing despite being given 2 week timescale.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20th Feb cautioned interview - heard nothing despite being given 2 week timescale.

In the thread attached, I mentioned that I'd had an interview under caution on 20th Feb '19. There's more details in that thread about the reason for interview.

However, before and after the interview, I was told that I would hear "within 2 weeks" if anything was going to happen.

It's now 7th May, and I've heard nothing so had assumed I was clear, but I've just been told by an ex-cop that:
    • I shouldn't have been told the 2 week thing - there's no time limit.
    • I should have received an NFA (no further action) letter therefore I should call and ask for one.
    • The system is chaos and they lose trivial stuff all the time.
    My worry is that if they've forgotten about me, that's great, and by calling I might jolt them into action again. But if I don't get my NFA, could it suddenly crop up next year or something?

I've googled it and I can't find anything solid about time limits. Any ideas? Thank you!

Hello - I'm really sorry about the length of this. I've tried to keep it as factual and "bullet points" as possible. Reading it back, it all seems so
    Tags: None

I've just read back over your earlier thread and notice you were issued with a Police Information Notice.
    Did you sign it?
    The fact that it has no statutory standing would mean that their failure to sign it is of no effect.
    Lack of date is slightly more problematic for them as they can only really be of use in a future prosecution case if a further alleged incident occurs within say six months

In July 2017 a joint report by Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary and Her Majesty's Crown Prosecution Service Inspectorate (HMIC/HMPSI) recommended that "chief constables should stop the use of Police Information Notices and their equivalents immediately".

Now taken into conjunction with the "hear within two weeks" it would seem that the force concerned (or at least that station) is a bit lax.
    (As mentioned previously if there is only one alleged incident there can be no charge of harassment ... presumably no other incidents so NFA}
    You can't actually appeal about either of these matters, but you can complain to the force concerned.

Comment

Thank you - no, the undated PIN was not signed by anyone, including me. Interesting about the use of PINS. I think I get what you're saying, but regarding getting a NFA letter, you say "presumably no other incidents so NFA" - indeed, no further incidents. But I'm still not sure whether to chase for one.

Thank you again.

EDIT: With apologies, I don't know why I posted either of these threads in the Welcome forum, when they would be better suited to "Family Law and Relationships" and "Court Claims and Issues". Admin, please feel free to move them!

Comment

[QUOTE=dazed;n1464823]. But I'm still not sure whether to chase for one.

Can't answer that for you I'm afraid.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X