• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Vendor impersonated me!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vendor impersonated me!

Hi,

Not sure what forum to post this under as it relates to a house purchase and fraud. I wanted to ask people’s advice as I am dumbfounded on what was uncovered yesterday relating to a purchase of a house I am buying.

Two days ago my conveyancing company updated my online case with ‘call from client’ detailing that ‘I’ had called wanting an update and to discuss my case.

I saw this message later in the day and immediately sent a message saying I had not called. I then called the conveyancer and was told that someone using my name had called them and answered the security questions (line of the address, property price). I explained that this was not me and I was alarmed that this had happened. We suspected the estate agent but agreed to additional questions to be asked.

Yesterday morning whilst in a meeting I receive another message stating ‘Call from client’ asking to speak directly to the director about my case and stating that they were going to ring back in 20mins to speak to him. I again quickly messaged stating this was not me. I rang my conveyancing company again and requested to speak to someone senior as someone was impersonating me.

Following an investigation by my conveyancer we now believe that it was indeed the vendor for the property I am buying. I now have 3 voice recordings and her solicitor states that while he cannot make a direct accusation it does sound like her - she is denying this.

Before listening to the recordings I assumed that she was probably frustrated with the situation and trying to find out more.

However, listening to the recordings it is more deceitful than that for example... they (the sellers) have agreed to put in place a chancel policy and my conveyancer on the phone to her states that we need to see a copy of this which is when she says ‘can this not be dealt with on completion do we really need to see evidence’. Which makes me think they weren’t going to do it.

Another example is the roads are not adopted as it is a relatively new estate and my conveyancer states we need section xxx and she says ‘well I’m not worried about that my sister lives nearby so I know its not a problem’.

There are numerous examples like that where she is clearly trying to steer them away from doing anything more. She keeps telling them that we have agreed to exchange this week (I hadn’t agreed anything) and keeps referring to things being hurried along.

I am in shock and not really sure what to do now, by giving her opinion as ‘mine’ she is trying to influence my conveyancers for her own gain. Not sure what I do now, I have been advised by others to contact the police but not sure if this is appropriate. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

For info
    Chancel Repair Liability blights properties across the county. Abolish this anachronism.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

If true, the Vendor's conduct amounts to criminal offences under the Fraud Act. If it was me, I would be charging her the costs incurred because of her conduct, by either billing her directly for it, or reducing the price you are now willing to pay for the property, or both.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X