• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Do I need to use a solicitor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to use a solicitor?

I am appointed as Executor in a will. I have notice that the last point written in the will says, " the Solicitors to be employed in connection with my estate shall be xxxxx but without prejudice to the right of my Trustee to consult or employ any other Solicitor should he/she so desire." The intentions of the will when written was that the Executor did not have to engage a solicitor unless the Executor felt it was necessary. So am I tied into using the solicitor because the above phrase has been written into the will?
    Tags: None

Is there potential sale of land in the estate?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by Rosel View Post
      I am appointed as Executor in a will. I have notice that the last point written in the will says, " the Solicitors to be employed in connection with my estate shall be xxxxx but without prejudice to the right of my Trustee to consult or employ any other Solicitor should he/she so desire." The intentions of the will when written was that the Executor did not have to engage a solicitor unless the Executor felt it was necessary. So am I tied into using the solicitor because the above phrase has been written into the will?
      There is no potential selling of land in the estate.

Comment

AfaIk, an executor should, as far as is possible, carry out the wishes in the deceased person's will.

But I'm no expert (although I'm a co-executor atm.)

Peridot

des8

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

If you are sole executor, and the will is straight forward (other than that clause!) do you need to employ a solicitor?
          The will seems to state that the solicitor named is to be employed, whilst if you wish you can also employ an additional solicitor.
          Why you would wish to use two solicitors however is beyond me.

Look forward to Peridot comment

Comment

Hi Rosel,

So in the executor clause the person who died has not stated the solicitors should be your co-executors? If they are included in the executor clause, then it would suggest the person wished them to be appointed. However, even if they had been appointed and the estate is straightforward with another executor able to deal themselves, then solicitors can and potentially should renounce their executor appointment as they have a duty to the residuary beneficiaries to maximise the estate as far as possible. When you consider the fees that could be charged this is something any appointed solicitor executor should bear i mind. Of course there are situations where the deceased is quite certain they wish solicitors to act, often if an estate is either complicated or there are issues with the family for example.

If they are not named as executors, the wording appears to suggest that you use the named solicitors if you need to. The wording goes onto say 'consult or employ' In my opinion these are two different things. Consult is just that, it would imply you can seek advice rather than instructing a solicitor to deal. If you wished to seek some advice or instruct solicitors to deal then a firm has been suggested but you also have the option to 'consult' (obtain advice) or 'employ' (instruct them to do the work) your own choice of firm too.

I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Peridot View Post
              Hi Rosel,

So in the executor clause the person who died has not stated the solicitors should be your co-executors? If they are included in the executor clause, then it would suggest the person wished them to be appointed. However, even if they had been appointed and the estate is straightforward with another executor able to deal themselves, then solicitors can and potentially should renounce their executor appointment as they have a duty to the residuary beneficiaries to maximise the estate as far as possible. When you consider the fees that could be charged this is something any appointed solicitor executor should bear i mind. Of course there are situations where the deceased is quite certain they wish solicitors to act, often if an estate is either complicated or there are issues with the family for example.

If they are not named as executors, the wording appears to suggest that you use the named solicitors if you need to. The wording goes onto say 'consult or employ' In my opinion these are two different things. Consult is just that, it would imply you can seek advice rather than instructing a solicitor to deal. If you wished to seek some advice or instruct solicitors to deal then a firm has been suggested but you also have the option to 'consult' (obtain advice) or 'employ' (instruct them to do the work) your own choice of firm too.
              Thank you - that has made things a lot clearer. :-)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X