• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Pressured to sign an agreement to cover the cost of a training course

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressured to sign an agreement to cover the cost of a training course

Hi There,
    After working for a company for 5 years I was asked to sign an agreement to cover the cost of a training course should i leave the company within 6 months of taking it, I had taken at least 5 residential courses during this time without being asked to cover the cost and at first refused to sign it but was pressured into it by my Line manager even though I sent the communication back my e-mail. When taking the course the provider divulged that they encouraged employers to force employees to sign up before the course, of the 12 employees in the business unit only people taking this course have been asked to sign up to these terms. My standard notice period is 3 months is this legal ? The text of the letter is below without the names I was not consulted on this before the invite came

I am pleased to advise you have been selected to attend the xxxxxxxxxx training taking place from xxxxxxx 2019. This is a recognised course designed for senior sales managers and buyers, to enable development of skills and attitudes that will offer ways to negotiate in any given circumstance, and allow you to gain a greater understanding of the sales psychology and culture.

It should be recognised that this is a substantial investment of time and money and therefore, as on previous occasions for high-value courses, it is necessary for us to have a formalised agreement, signed by both parties.

xxxxxxxx UK Ltd (the Employer) and “xxxxxx” (the Employee) declare their agreement of the following:
    1. That the Employer will fully expense a professional training course, costing £6555, to the mutual benefit of the Employee and the Employer.
    1. All expenses including travel and accommodation will be reimbursed upon production of an expenses form, together with all relevant receipts.
    1. The Employee shall perform to the best of his/her ability during the course.
    1. The Employee shall pay back 100% of the costs attributed to the training should:
    1. The Employee cease training without reasonable explanation;
    2. The Employee fail the course due to conduct not acceptable in normal business practice e.g. poor attendance
    3. The Employee resign during the training period
    4. The Employee resign within 6 months of successfully passing the course.
    1. Should the Employer terminate the training or employment of the Employee all costs will be attributed to the Employer and not the Employee.
    1. In the event that the employee leaves the business due to ill health in the 6 months following the training, he will be exempt from refunding the costs.

Would you please sign the enclosed copy of this letter confirming your attendance and acceptance of the above.

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X