• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Urgent advice and guidance needed.. I have screwed up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent advice and guidance needed.. I have screwed up

I am a nervous wreck over this so please bare with :-(

I have been hit with a £2000 housing benefit overpayment but it gets worse. I started full time work last year, I sent the council my work contract which states my full wage and a wage slip but because I started mid month my wage slip showed only half my monthly wage- I wrote to the council when enclosing my wage slip stating this (i still have the proof) along with my contract with stated my annual wage.

I was promoted in January so I sent over my new contract and another wage slip. They've written back saying that they based my award on the original wage slip which was only half my wage.
    I have argued that they had the information so it wasn't my fault but they said I should have checked.
    Fine, I accept I should have checked and have agreed to pay £80 a month to clear it.

I am double checking my claim to make sure everything is correct and my childcare costs are wrong.... I am seriously panicking now.
    My average childcare costs spread throughout the year taking into account school holidays are £30 a week but for some reason they have it as £59 per week. Tax credits have the correct figure, thankfully.
    I have looked through my paperwork that was sent to housing benefit and I did indeed write £59 per week on the childcare form to housing benefit.

Not one for excuses but I have really bad anxiety which I am on meds for, I also have lung disease, my daughter has a chronic condition which I currently trying to claim DLA for and my son is in the process of being diagnosed with autism.
    I work full time on little money and I am really struggling.

What should I do? Should I update my childcare costs from now? Tell them its been wrong for a year and hope they don't prosecute as I already owe £2000 so they may go ahead and prosecute me?

I am trying my best but I have done everything wrong and I just don't know what to do :-(

Thank you and please don't judge me I am trying to do the right thing. If I were to get in trouble for fraud I would lose my job as I work with vulnerable people :-(
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X