• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Statutory Demand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statutory Demand

I recently received a statutory demand for just over £8500. I have applied to the court to have this set-aside and a hearing date has been set for this Monday the 18th of March. In brief, I sold a horsebox for £7500 by way of my sole trader business. The buyer wasn't happy with the item and I agreed to purchase the vehicle back at £5k. It was agreed I would pay the £5k back at £100 per week. This I did till the outstanding balance reduced to £3400. I did miss a lot of payments put overall kept to the agreement. At this point, the amounts Id paid were disputed with the client and his father who had taken over the day to day dealings. I received one figure outstanding from the client and then a totally different figure from his father. I then received an email from the father that the son was making deductions from my payments for reasons unknown. I queried this asking why and no explanation was given. I then informed the client that until we could agree on the figures and a satisfactory explanation was given why deductions were being made from my payments (all proven via emails) I wouldn't be making any further payments, no reply was received.

The sale was in 2014 payments were made up to 2016 then I stopped payments for reasons explained above. Next contact was via the statutory demand in January 2019. Their solicitors are of the opinion because I have admitted the dept just not the amount the SD will not be set aside. I have admitted £3400 outstanding, not the whole amount.

The £8500 is made up of claimed additional costs (not legal costs) which I don't agree with, no evidence of these costs has ever been provided and seem just random figures produced out of thin air to get the amount over the 5k bankruptcy threshold.

My main questions are as follows:

Because I've admitted owing part of the debt which is below 5k can the SD proceed?

Should this have been in the County Court first for a judge to decide on the correct amount owing prior to the SD being issued.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm attending the hearing without legal representation and its 3 days away.
    Last edited by towgenie; 15th March 2019, 15:23:PM.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by towgenie View Post
    I recently received a statutory demand for just over £8500. I have applied to the court to have this set-aside and a hearing date has been set for this Monday the 18th of March. In brief, I sold a horsebox for £7500 by way of my sole trader business. The buyer wasn't happy with the item and I agreed to purchase the vehicle back at £5k. It was agreed I would pay the £5k back at £100 per week. This I did till the outstanding balance reduced to £3400. I did miss a lot of payments put overall kept to the agreement. At this point, the amounts Id paid were disputed with the client and his father who had taken over the day to day dealings. I received one figure outstanding from the client and then a totally different figure from his father. I then received an email from the father that the son was making deductions from my payments for reasons unknown. I queried this asking why and no explanation was given. I then informed the client that until we could agree on the figures and a satisfactory explanation was given why deductions were being made from my payments (all proven via emails) I wouldn't be making any further payments, no reply was received.

The sale was in 2014 payments were made up to 2016 then I stopped payments for reasons explained above. Next contact was via the statutory demand in January 2019. Their solicitors are of the opinion because I have admitted the dept just not the amount the SD will not be set aside. I have admitted £3400 outstanding, not the whole amount.

The £8500 is made up of claimed additional costs (not legal costs) which I don't agree with, no evidence of these costs has ever been provided and seem just random figures produced out of thin air to get the amount over the 5k bankruptcy threshold.

My main questions are as follows:

Because I've admitted owing part of the debt which is below 5k can the SD proceed?

Should this have been in the County Court first for a judge to decide on the correct amount owing prior to the SD being issued.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm attending the hearing without legal representation and its 3 days away.
    UPDATE: Just a note to anyone facing a Stat Demand. I appeared at my hearing have done my research, they had a barrister. The judge threw it out in 2 mins no costs awarded which would have been around 8k. Stat Demand set aside. My point is don't be intimidated fight your corner, good luck

Comment

That's great, my sincere apologies for missing your previous post.

What were your grounds ? That is was simply unsuitable for bankruptcy as it was disputed ?

Are they likely to try a claim through the court now?
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X