• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Accident in waitrose

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accident in waitrose

Hi All,

Yesterday i had the worst experience of my life. I was shopping in canary wharf, waitrose and i used the machines that you scan your stuff alone. I was listening to music, really loud and because i was having many stuff i was really not focused. I paid without even notice the bill and left the store.

A security guard stopped me and said that i didnt pay for the stuff that i got. I said that due to the music i couldnt hear the scanning sound and i was really not focused due to some things happened this day.

So they said that they checked the CCTV and it was obvious that i did it on purpose cause i was looking aroung if anybody saw me. Really, i dont remember any of this, i was just listening music and i was looking how to handle my stuff in the bags cause i had too many.

I didnt complain and gave the bags. They search and 2-3 stuff werent scanned and they said that they will send me a fine from RLP. They kept the products. Nothing was damaged. So they asked for my id but i didnt have one. They wrote my name wrong even if i told them the correct one and my address, plus my age of birth. The guards said that they will not call the police but i cannot go to any store of waitrose again. The worst thing was that, they called canary wharf security which banned me from shopping in the whole area for 6 months. the canary wharf guard asked if the police will come and everybody said no police.

I got a paper from canary wharf saying that i am banned but everything was written wrong...birthdate, name, i spelled 3 time the correct details and they wrote them wrong. The canary wharf guard took a picture of me but the waitrose guard didnt care for that and left. So now i am really pissed about what happened and i want to ask for advices. Firstly i think its way to much that i am banned from canary wharf. i live 5 min away and i have spent in the mall like 10k in the last year shopping. I have a credit rating A in everything and i never delayed a payment even for one day. So, i think that for a misunderstunding like that its not fair what happened. I sent an email to canary wharf management immediatly, saying that the incident was a misunderstanding and i am one very good customer of the mall spending thousands and have the perfect credit rating in every company that i use, so besides waitrose, there is no reason to have a ban for 6 months and they can review that and lift the ban. Also in my email to canary wharf i stated that people can make mistakes by accident and if a store like waitrose charge something wrong or sell a rotten product, it can be an accident and nobody bans them for 6 months.

I dont really care about waitrose cause i think they could handle better the situation. I can spend my money in other stores and dont go there again. You can imagine that i left the store with 5 bags of stuff that i scanned and they banned me for a silly accident. Plus, i learned from that and now in every store i will go to a person to scan my items. never again to the automatic ones..

So i have some questions besides the RLP fine. Is it possible that the police will be called after and i will have to explain what happened? can i get a criinal record? Finally , was it a bad move to send an email to canary wharf management? Do you think that they might call the police to investigate, even if they didnt intent cause i sent this email and state that i was upset with their decision?

thank you in advance
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome

First thing is to be reassured the police will not now be involved and you will not have a criminal record.

Secondly you will not be fined.
    In the UK courts impose fines but RLP issue invoicesfor fabricated and imagined costs.
    These come in the form of letters dressed in legal language designed to frighten you into paying their demands.
    Just ignore them and after five or six they give up.

Thirdly regarding the ban.
    Stores or malls can ban whoever they like for no reason at all. They are private property.
    However in practice the ban is pretty useless.
    If you re enter their premises and are spotted, all they can do is ask you to leave.
    If you enter and buy goods and are then spotted, again all they can do is ask you to leave. The goods purchased are yours and they cannot take them from you.
    If you enter after being banned and are caught shoplifting you could be charged with burglary rather than theft
    Last edited by des8; 24th February 2019, 20:10:PM.

Comment

Hi Des,

thank you for your answer!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X