• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Does my Granddaughter have to repay her brothers loan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does my Granddaughter have to repay her brothers loan?

My Granddaughter stood guarantor for her brother when he took out a £2000 loan over 24 months online with Bamboo.

​​​​​​He moved to another County, much of his work dried up and he stopped making payments after 12 months. He has recently made an agreement with Bamboo solicitors to make a much reduced monthly repayment. However, the solicitors are now threatening my Granddaughter with court action unless she agrees to make payments too.

As Bamboo and my grandson have made this latest agreement should my Granddaughter also be making payments?
    Tags: None

As the granddaughter stood as guarantor then yes she is liable. That is what being a guarantor is all about.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to answer Ostell... I do understand that as guarantor my Granddaughter would be liable for the bebt, but I thought they would only come to her for payments if her brother was not making payments, but he is, . as I said, her brother and the loan company have now agreed a lower, manageable repayment plan.. are you saying that irrespective of this, my Granddaughter also has to make payments which the loan company are demanding she make? That not only was she signing to guarantee repayment of the loan but that she was guaranteeing it would be repaid at the original repayment fugure?
      Last edited by Ceejaylo; 7th February 2019, 23:28:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ceejaylo View Post
        Thanks for taking the time to answer Ostell... I do understand that as guarantor my Granddaughter would be liable for the bebt, but I thought they would only come to her for payments if her brother was not making payments, but he is, . as I said, her brother and the loan company have now agreed a lower, manageable repayment plan.. are you saying that irrespective of this, my Granddaughter also has to make payments which the loan company are demanding she make? That not only was she signing to guarantee repayment of the loan but that she was guaranteeing it would be repaid at the original repayment fugure?
        She guaranteed the loan in all aspects of payment, time etc. If her brother is not paying the amount that was stated in the contract, then they can either pursue your daughter for the full monthly amount or the shortfall between the amount paid and amount owed.

To clarify this point, I'd look into the contract your Granddaughter signed.
        The information I supply is provided for informational purposes only and, should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Before discussing liabilities, first you need a copy of the Guarantee, there are many reasons a PG can fall over, so its worth checking to see if the guarantee is valid and if the primary obligations havent been met so as to entitle the creditor to call in the debt from the guarantor. Often it is overlooked but if its a CCA regulated debt and the creditor hasnt complied with the statutory duties, then he cannot call in the debt via the guarantee.

Natwest v Lock as a prime example
          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X