• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Request court funds for under 18

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request court funds for under 18

Hi. I would like to request money from the court funds office for my children whom are under 18. This money was awarded after an accident and I was told to fill in form n244 in order to get access to the money.
    i would like to know what the criteria is to obtain this money. What can I write so my application isn't rejected as there is a fee of £50. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Tags: None

How old are the children and what is the money required for? Are you asking to have access to a regular payment from the funds or a one off lump sum to pay for something specific ( education fees for example )?

Is it from Criminal Injuries Compensation ?

Payments before a child is 18

If your wishes to receive money before his or hers 18th birthday, you as a Litigation Friend may apply on behalf of your child for a portion payment of funds. This application must be made to the Court.

In most cases, you as the Litigation Friend will be requested to describe to the Court what the money is for and why it is helpful and advantageous for the child. For example, if it is for a computer, you will be asked to deliver evidence of the cost (such as a quote from a shop or extract from a website). It may also be recommended to you to send any supporting documentation that will contribute to your claim, e.g. a letter from your child’s school.

This application will then be considered by a Judge who will choose whether or not the request for the money should be given. The Judge may also wish to have a Hearing with you and/or you child before making this decision. A small fee may apply for making the application.
    Apply for payments

You can’t access the child’s account without an order from the court.

If there’s a reason the child needs money before turning 18, you must apply to the court that originally awarded the money.

Write to the court and explain what the money’s for and how it’ll benefit the child.

The court will tell you whether you need to:
    • provide evidence that the child will benefit
    • provide proof of exact costs
    • attend a hearing - the child may also need to attend
    • pay a fee

It will order the Court Funds Office to make a payment if your application is successful. You must give your bank account details to the court unless you ask to be paid by cheque.
    Presumably you have already been in touch with the court and they have told you to complete the N244 application notice.

It doesn't seem there is any guidance as to wording - the important part is the evidence of what the money is required for and show how it will benefit the child directly.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X