• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Confidentiality Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confidentiality Question

Hi. Have problem with neighbour and Police have asked us to record all incidents. Neighbour invited District Councillor to property and had conversation with him outside, which was overheard and recorded by my partner. Neighbour was defamatory in remarks about us to Councillor. Have asked Councillor to confirm comments, but he states that the conversation was confidential, despite being in earshot and recorded and being told that he was heard. Would like to ask if the conversation remained confidential?? Thank you
    Tags: None

The conversation with the councillor is not privileged, but if the councillor does not wish to tell you what was said how do you propose to force him to? Unless you are proposing to sue for defamation, what's the point, anyway?

Your neighbour speaking to his councillor is unlikely to be the sort of incident the police are interested in. That you you disagree with what your neighbour said is hardly surprising, as there are always two sides to all these disputes.

Can I ask how your partner came to overhear the conversation?

Comment

Sorry, just to check. You say the conversation was recorded. That raises two points. First, if you have a recording, you don't need anything from the councillor. Second, are you bugging the neighbourhood?

Comment

Originally posted by 2222 View Post
        The conversation with the councillor is not privileged, but if the councillor does not wish to tell you what was said how do you propose to force him to? Unless you are proposing to sue for defamation, what's the point, anyway?

Your neighbour speaking to his councillor is unlikely to be the sort of incident the police are interested in. That you you disagree with what your neighbour said is hardly surprising, as there are always two sides to all these disputes.

Can I ask how your partner came to overhear the conversation?
        My wife was in our garden. We have had incidents with the neighbour, and the Police, for our own protection have asked us to record any incidents, which is what was done

Comment

That's fine, but I don't think that your neighbour Speaking to his councillor is an 'incident '. If he was in his garden, talking in a reasonable voice to the local councillor, most people would think he has a reasonable right to privacy. I'm not surprised by the councillor's response.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X