• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax advice

What is a reasonable amount to offer to pay in arrears
    I’m being chased for not paying single occupancy
    the council are asking me how much I can pay
    Tags: None

Are you on Benefits or in employment? How much do you owe?

Comment

I’m in full time employment on minimum wage Scotland
      they say I owe about £2,500

Comment

In that case you need to do yourself an Income & Expenditure then see if you have any disposable income left and offer say half of that. Don't forget they could possibly Arrest your wages and that way be a whole lot worse off. Best to get an agreement before it goes too much further, involve your local Councillor as a mediator if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommybhoy View Post
          I’m in full time employment on minimum wage Scotland
          they say I owe about £2,500
          £2500 is a decent way of single person discount to be removed. Do you dispute the reasons or do you accept it ?

Comment

How do you dispute this single person occupancy I moved in with my partner,notified the council, they never amended their details about 4 years ago . It’s not as if we are not paying. It’s just the single person discount. Can anything be done they are just trying to get more money out of me

Comment

You're likely out of luck with that one, even allowing for the councils initial failure there's an ongoing duty for you to notify the council. Legally the discount doesn't apply (unless you're disregarded) and they can remove it, even retrospectively.

It wouldn't be something that a valuation tribunal could rule on so it comes down to disputing the issue with the council and asking that they'd go easy on you with the recovery. I've dealt with many vt's and more council disputes than I can remember and I'd rate your chances as very low for getting anything above a bit extra time to pay.

Comment

I forgot to mention it’s not as if I’m not paying any council tax I just need to get the arrears away Iam paying full tax just need to get them to agree can they still chase you even though you are paying

Comment

Originally posted by Tommybhoy View Post
                  I forgot to mention it’s not as if I’m not paying any council tax I just need to get the arrears away Iam paying full tax just need to get them to agree can they still chase you even though you are paying
                  Yes.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X