• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Legal advice re business premises lease renewal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal advice re business premises lease renewal

Hi everybody, I do hope this is the right place to get some expert advice on my query. I have contacted a couple of alleged legal phone lines that my professional subs entitle me to, but I haven't had any useful input from them..
    My question has to do with renewal of business premises lease. I have been leasing a studio inside a big studio complex in East London since 2012. Have always been prompt with payment, no issues, good relationship to date. The site manager has changed recently and since then all hell has broken loose basically. Perhaps she is just executing directives from higher up, but the bottom line is I can't work things out with her.
    My lease is due for renewal at the end of this month. She had said that she didn't want to renew it at all in the first place, as we have been quite noisy, the footfall in the building is too much and they are trying to create a more quiet envirnoment for all the businesses in the building (oxymoron number 1: i'm in a building surrounded by drummers, producers, musicians and all sorts of noisy musos!). Basically we give piano lessons (with my team of tutors) to schoolchildren, who sometimes can get a little excitable in the corridors on the way to and from the studio - but nothing that would warrant an eviction! Needless to say, I have instructed everyone to be super quiet etc, and with a lot of pushing I managed to get her to allow us to stay in the building for another 6 months - up until the end of July 2019, when the school year ends so we can finish our year properly.
    Now she proposed an increase in the rent (from 500 to 550) for the next 6 months, to which i responded that as we are only renewing for 6 months I 'd like the rent to stay the same. Last year they had increased the rent from 430 to 500, so I said that it's too much to be asking for an increase again. No response. She then emailed me again after a few weeks asking if I wanted to renew or if I wanted to move out. I replied saying that I had indeed replied initially (!) that I wanted to continue leasing the space and I was just awaiting her response re rent. No response again.
    Meanwhile the days are going by swiftly, and I am not sure what to do. Obviously I want to stay, even with the 50 pound increase but I don't get why she's not responding to that.
    Before you ask, I do have a signed agreement which stipulates that at ANY time the landlord has to provide 2 months notice minimum. It includes a statutory declaration which basically waives my rights to be able to remain in the premises after the term finishes, so I know this is not helpful - however, they are effectively forcing us to sign it otherwise they won't provide us with space.

HELP! I am desperate to stay but I don't know how to proceed. Should I insist on getting an answer from her? Go and find her in person? Write to the landlord? Pursue a claim via legal means?

I really appreciated any help/insight you can give me. Thank you in advance.
    Tags: None

Go direct to your landlord- it is they that your tenancy agreement is with. They may not be aware of what is happening with the new site manager and if she has simply ceased responding to you I don't see you have much options. Of course she could have been brought in to get rid of tenants to clear the building for sale and she's not very good at it so thinks ignoring you will just make you give up and go away. Any other tenants had similar from her that you know of ?

Do you have a postsl contact address for her ? Possibly respond to her previous request again in writing, sent recorded delivery, cc'd to the landlord. Then if she tries to say she hasn't had a response you have evidence otherwise.

Some others I'm sure will pop in on the legal side of things.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X