• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can defamation case be brought through small claims court?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can defamation case be brought through small claims court?

Hi all

I have just received a claim for damages to reputation through the County Court Money Claims Centre. I didn't think defamation cases could be brought through the small claims court - is this not correct?
    Tags: None

They can if both parties agree - otherwise they need to go through the high court. Can you post the Particulars of Claim please and the amount being claimed - it is likely you will be wanting to apply to have the claim struck out - I'll grab some details for you. The relevant CPR is PD 53 and CPR 7 (2.9)
    2.9 The following proceedings may not be started in the County Court unless the parties have agreed otherwise in writing:

(1) a claim for damages or other remedy for libel or slander, and
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thanks for your reply - very helpful.

£1000 is being claimed for harm caused by false accusations made against this individual - the claim doesn't explicitly mention slander or libel. There is more of a back story to this, but it would probably be best to share this in the VIP section rather than in an open forum.

How would I go about getting this claim struck out?

Comment

It would be an application to the court on form N244 https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ication-notice which costs £255 to lodge.

This is just by way of an example - it will obviously depend on the actual case and the particulars of claim, and any pre-action stuff that's gone on before you received the claim, but this should give you a general idea.

Originally posted by N244

Continuation sheet 1:
        CLAIM NO: XXXXX

An order (a draft of which is attached) that Summary Judgment be granted in favour of the Defendant pursuant to Part 24 CPR and/or the claimant's claim be struck out because the claimant has no real prospect of succeeding on the claim and there is no other compelling reason why there should be a trial.

In the alternative, an order under CPR part 3 that the Claimants claim be struck out as it is an abuse of the Court process and fails to comply with the requirements of CPR 16 and CPR 53 PD 53 and therefore the Court should exercise its powers under CPR 3.4(2)(b) or (c). The statement of case also discloses no reasonable grounds for bringing the claim and should be struck out under CPR 3.4(2)(a)

If the claimant wishes to rely on written evidence, he must file and serve copies on each party at least 7 days before any hearing date set by the court.
        Originally posted by witness statement

In the Northampton County Court Business Centre

Claim No. XXXXX

xxxxxxxxxxxx
        Claimant (Respondent)

and

xxxxxxxxx
        Defendant (Applicant)

Dated 30th December 2015

-------------------------------------
        WITNESS STATEMENT OF THE APPLICANT
        ------------------------------------

I, xxxxxxxxxxxx, of xxxxxaddressxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx , am the Defendant (Applicant) and make this statement in support of my application in this case.

1: I received the claim on xxxxxxxxxx 2015 from the Northampton County Court Business Centre. I Acknowledged receipt of the claim via the Moneyclaim online service on xxxxxxxxxx 2015.

2: The Claimants statement of case states ' Customer has posted a slanderous review'.

3. The statement of case is improperly and inadequately constituted in that it contains no indication as to the words complained of, the meaning attributed to those words, the method of publication, the place of publication and the extent of publication. ( CPR PD 53 (2.2.2) )

4: In addition, or alternatively, the statement of case fails to contain the words complained of, or identify the person to whom they were spoken and when
        ( CPR PD 53 (2.2.1) )

5. The statement of case fails to accurately and coherently quantify the sum claimed and fails to state how the sums for both loss and compensation have been attributed, apportioned and calculated.

6. The claimant has failed to comply with the relevant pre-action protocols for Defamation Claims (Defamation Act 2013)

7. In the absence of an agreement between the parties the claim is not within the jurisdiction of the County Court (CPR 7 (2.9.1) )

8. I therefore respectfully request that Summary Judgment be granted in favour of the Defendant pursuant to Part 24 CPR.

Statement of Truth

I believe that the facts stated in this statement are true.

Signed ………

xxxxxxxxxxx
        (applicant) – Claim No. XXXXX

Originally posted by draft order

In the Northampton County Court Business Centre
        Claim No. XXXXX

xxxxxxxx
        Claimant (Respondent)

and

xxxxxxxxxx
        Defendant (Applicant)

Dated xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-------------------------------------
        DRAFT ORDER
        ------------------------------------

On reading the written evidence filed by the Defendant in her application under Part 24 for summary judgment

On finding that the Claimant has no real prospect of succeeding on the claim and that there is no other reason why the claim should be disposed of by trial

IT IS ORDERED THAT:
        There be judgment for the Defendant on the claim
        The Claimant pay the Defendant's costs of the application to be £255.00.

Signed................................
        Dated................................
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Thanks very much for the link and example. The claim is a total fabrication, so I'll see whether I can go down this route and get it thrown out.

Comment

Do you want to PM me the particulars of claim ? ( https://legalbeagles.info/forums/pmchat/chat to Amethyst )
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thank you for sending those.

There was no pre-action notice of this claim at all ?

It seems simply to be an intimidation attempt to force an apology and should be quite simple to have struck out.

#staysafestayhome

Comment

No, he didn't send a pre-action notice. As you say, this is very definitely an attempt to intimidate and hopefully we will have no problem with persuading the court to throw it out. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and the examples of a completed N244 form. I will let you know how it goes!

Comment

Hi Miho, did you manage to get this claim sorted, was the claim struck out?

I have a similar claim as you which is part of a counterclaim accusing me of defamation in defence to a case.

Regards

​​​

Comment

Defamation can't be brought as a case in the county court - except by agreement between both parties - it should be brought in the high court and there's strict pre action procedures.

Do you have a thread about your case as you will need to defend the counterclaim but from what you've said it sound like someone's claimed against you, you've defended and they've put a counterclaim in reply to the defence ?? Not the right way to do things so will need a bit more info on the exact situation to be able to help.
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Hi Amethyst

I have started a new thread so I don't hijack Miho's thread.

https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...l-counterclaim

Regards

Comment

Can 'Defamation' be dealt with at a 'Small Claims Court If both parties agree? - if so then could someone please advise me of the official name of this etc?

Comment

Originally posted by sceptical View Post
                          Can 'Defamation' be dealt with at a 'Small Claims Court If both parties agree? - if so then could someone please advise me of the official name of this etc?
                          See post #2. CPR means Civil Procedure Rules and PD means Practice Direction. These are the rules that govern litigation in the courts.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X