• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HELP!!!!!!!!! NO wedding venue contract

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!!!!!!!! NO wedding venue contract

Hi Everyone

I'm just after some advice, we initially booked a wedding venue for February 2019 but do to unforeseen circumstances we've had to cancel the venue, I paid £3,000 deposit in June 2018 to secure the date but We never signed a contract or giving a contract in our hands.

In October 2018 we notified them we were no longer doing a wedding in February 2019 and required a full deposit. They replied " they will not give a full refund and they have lost out, as the total wedding venue was £11,500". We evening suggested at least half the deposit and they refused it.

It would be great if anyone out there can gives us some advice. Getting back the £3,000 deposit will help us a lot.

Thank you in advance,

Do you have a receipt for the £3000 with what it was for annotated on it?

Comment

No, they just asked us to transfer the £3,000.

Comment

Originally posted by paulajayne View Post
        Do you have a receipt for the £3000 with what it was for annotated on it?

No, they just asked us to transfer the £3,000.

Comment

Usually, agreements like this would have terms and conditions to state that a deposit would not be refundable if terminated within a certain window close to the agreed date. If there is no written terms then it's a case of he said she said and you would have to argue that at no point did the venue suggest that the deposit is not refundable in which case you would have a reasonable argument to reclaim the deposit as there were no restrictions.

It may be that you have to take legal action against the wedding venue which is a risk to yourself if they are refusing to pay up. There is also the issue that they might not be able to repay you even if you did succeed in your claim against them.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi,

Agreeing with other's posts here but thought providing a link to another wedding venue issue would possibly help you. I appreciate this other thread did have a contract but it may be helpful to have a look at the arguments that were being raised in the situation particularly relating to the money potentially lost by the Hotel if they are unable to re-sell the date. It is quite close to the booking now. In the below thread there was a lot of time before the wedding so it was more likely another booking could happen without the hotel losing out but may find some nuggets that you could use in your circumstances.

There may be an argument for a refund of part of the deposit if they are able to get another booking?
            https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...g-cancellation
            I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

The only thing I would add is that, although you did not sign a contract, the venue may have terms and conditions in a brochure or website. If you were aware of those details, you would probably be deemed to have accepted those terms.

The terms might be unenforceable, though. Do you want to provide details of the venue, so we can take a look?

Comment

It may also be worth if local passing the venue on the night in question next month to see if another Wedding or party was going on that night
                Sorry i'm just thinking out loud, it might be irrelevant, I am not employed in anyway in the legal profession, please ensure you research any advice I give before using it I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions.

Comment

Thanks 2222 I would definitely suggest helphelp123 having a check of the venue's website but maybe not posting the name up on the forum currently. If you get into difficulties understanding any of the clauses in any terms (if you find terms and conditions on site) then you can always post the particular clause and we can give you some pointers.
                  I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X