• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

help with BW Legal - letter of claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with BW Legal - letter of claim

happy new year everyone! I am new here so firstly hello we have been battling Brittania Parking PCN for a while now (since march 2018) and following all the advice on the forums with Martin Lewis etc the advice was to ignore them. so we did. it has now wound up going all the way to BW legal and we have received a scary letter stating they are taking us to court. they haven't got the correct spelling of our surname on the letter so you could be forgiven for thinking it was just junk mail. however we have opened later letters and realized they are now court threats. I have continued to read forums relating to this company and generally the subject of PCNs as opposed to Penalty Notices from councils and they do all encourage you to ignore them and eventually they leave you alone. however as they are now using terminology such as CCJs it feels like a costly mistake to ignore this. has anyone got any advice - do we just pay up now and have done or is there a chance anyone has ever managed to get BW legal to back off. any help would be appreciated thank you
    Tags: None

Originally posted by choppes73 View Post
    happy new year everyone! I am new here so firstly hello we have been battling Brittania Parking PCN for a while now (since march 2018) and following all the advice on the forums with Martin Lewis etc the advice was to ignore them. so we did. it has now wound up going all the way to BW legal and we have received a scary letter stating they are taking us to court. they haven't got the correct spelling of our surname on the letter so you could be forgiven for thinking it was just junk mail. however we have opened later letters and realized they are now court threats. I have continued to read forums relating to this company and generally the subject of PCNs as opposed to Penalty Notices from councils and they do all encourage you to ignore them and eventually they leave you alone. however as they are now using terminology such as CCJs it feels like a costly mistake to ignore this. has anyone got any advice - do we just pay up now and have done or is there a chance anyone has ever managed to get BW legal to back off. any help would be appreciated thank you
    Hi there

Its very tricky to offer any advice when we dont have any details about the case, can you perhaps enlighten us as to what happened? a little background info would help
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

thanks for responding ok sure - so in March my husband parked in a little shoppers car park at the back of the high street - around 7pm in the evening. he got back to his car about 9.30pm. a few weeks later we received a PCN in the post from Brittania parking eye stating he had stayed longer than permitted in the car park. the letter was addressed to a name similar to his but misspelled. it did correctly identify him as the driver though but due to the misspelled name and the fact it was a £100 fine we immediately researched it and found lots of noise about PCNs on the forums telling us it couldn't be legally enforced. we did go back to the car park at one point to see what the notices said and having now read the rather small print it does say up to two hours free and after that there may be a fine, however at the time it was dark and the signage wasn't immediately obvious to him.
      the letters continued after some time and now they have reached the letter of claim stage saying balance due will be £241.16. I am wondering if there is a way we can reason with them and agree to pay the original £100 perhaps just to shut them up and make the letters stop. the letters are still addressed to the incorrectly spelled surname. thank you again for your help

Comment

I should add this was Portswood shopping centre in Southampton

Comment

Choppess73 I would be very interested in what you do as we to have letters from Be legal. In need of help

Comment

scary stuff eh? I have read so many worrying things about them on the internet its hard to know what is safe to challenge and whether to just pay up to get rid.

Comment

Go through all your posts and edit them to remove any possible inference about the identity of the driver. Use "the driver ......" etc. Have you actually written to them and possibly identified the driver? A simple yes or no please.

As you've found out these should not be ignored, at least not since 2012.

The driver cannot have been identified, they have got the keeper details from the DVLA.

You state that you received a notice a few weeks later? How many is a few. Without a windscreen ticket then they have to deliver the parking notice to the keeper within 14 days in order to make the keeper liable rather than the driver. Whats the dates on the PCN? date of incident, date of issue, date of posting and when was it actually received.

Post up the PCN with identifying details removed but leave dates.

Is the name on the V5 document incorrectly spelt?

What stage are you actually at? Have you received a claim form from Northampton or are you still at the Letter before Claim stage?

The maximum they can claim from the keeper would be about £175

They have pushed it to court as you haven't responded and they are hoping to get a default judgement if you continue to not respond

KINGER1 please start you own thread if you want help and don't identify the driver.

Comment

Thank you for your help I have started my own thread earlier today

Comment

Really scary stuff just wondering if I should pay and forget about it

Comment

Originally posted by KINGER1 View Post
                    Really scary stuff just wondering if I should pay and forget about it
                    Why?

Just answer the questions and you may be able to tell them where to go

Comment

Ostell sorry I have started a thread earlier today. Just waiting for advice very anxious

Comment

Ostell thanks I have answered all the questions under my thread ncp parking fine help. Hope that's ok

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X