• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with drafting description for 'breach of contract': 'Letter Before Action'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with drafting description for 'breach of contract': 'Letter Before Action'

Hello All

I am new to the Legal Beagles!

I recently had two complaints upheld by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS), a process which went on for over a year.

I am seeking help with drafting clear description of a 'breach of contract' stemming from claims I made against two insurance policies held with different providers. Both claims were declined. I filed complaints against both insurance providers, based on that the rationale for declining my claim was contrary to the policy wording. I took my complaints to the FOS who upheld my complaints citing that the respective insurance providers were wrong in applying an exclusion clause when they shouldn't have - this had been the cornerstone of my complaint all along but the insurance providers were taking no notice. I now intend to serve a 'Letter Before Action' citing (i) breach of contract and (ii) negligence. I have done a fair amount of homework, but I still cannot get my head around clearly structuring a description of the 'breach of contract' so that it makes legal sense. I have learnt that I need to link such a 'breach' to the specific clause in the contract document which I appreciate, but I could do with viewing an example.

The second query I have is around 'negligence' - am I correct to assume that a 'breach of contract' can give grounds for claiming 'negligence'. If so, how so, please?

I would welcome as well as appreciate your feedback please.

With many thanks.

Mack65

Tags: None

Hello

Here's a key question for you - did you accept the Ombudsman's decision?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

In writing?
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
        Hello

Here's a key question for you - did you accept the Ombudsman's decision?
        Hello Rob & thank you for taking the trouble to get back to me. Yes, I accepted the Ombudsman's decision. But before I did, I wanted to know if doing so would interfere with my consumer rights, the Investigating Officer at FOS was unhelpful. So I contacted a Solicitor from a legal helpline offered with my house hold insurance - the Solicitor said that signing the FOS acceptance form would not jeopardise my statutory consumer rights.

Sorry for the long answer, but the answer to your question Rob is YES.

Many thanks once again. Mack65

Comment

Hello Rob - my brain has been ticking all the while since I read your earlier question - you're not going to tell me that, by accepting the Financial Ombudsman's decision in writing, I have signed my consumer legal rights away? Have I? I cannot wait to hear from you. Many thanks.

Comment

If the consumer accepts the FOS decision it becomes legally binding on both parties

Comment

Hi Mack65,

The reason why I ask if you accepted the Ombudsman's decision is because the decision is only legally binding between the parties if you had accepted within the timeframe given, normally at least 14 days.

Now, here's where things get a little tricky. How you go about enforcing an Ombudsman's decision will depend on whether it is a money award or a direction for the insurance company to do something.

If it is a money award, then the right procedure is what we call a Part 8 claim, which is a claim that does not involve a substantial dispute of fact. Why, might you ask? Because the dispute has already been decided by the FOS and under Section 288 of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (FSMA) this clearly says so as the decision is final and binding.

If you issued the usual Part 7 claim i.e. a claim using Money Claims Online, then you are effecting starting fresh proceedings which entitles the insurance company to have another stab at defending it. The short answer is do not do this - it is the wrong procedure.

If the Ombudsman made a direction ordering the insurance company to do something, then you would need to apply for an injunction. Again, the facts have already been disputed so it should really be a Part 8 Claim.

So we need to know what exactly the Ombudsman decided before you go any further - letter before action however is the right step forward though as the starting point.

I'm not sure what relevance breach of contract or negligence has and I think you would be barking up the wrong tree if you tried to claim for that. I would also suggest you have a read of the attached which explains how the decisions are enforced.

I should also point out that applications to enforce an Ombudsman's decision is rarely heard of in the County Court and it is possibly that the district judge's have no idea about how these work and it is therefore imperative that you follow the correct procedure. If you don't, you've already got an uphill struggle.
              Attached Files
              LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Hello Rob & thank you for your helpful response once again. Clearly it's a steep learning curve for me but I am acutely aware that the legal arena has no room for experimentation. The situation is as you describe in your 5th paragraph i.e. the Ombudsman made a direction as follows:

my final decision
                For the reasons given above, my final decision is that I uphold this complaint. I require {named insurance underwriters} to reconsider Mr M’s claim without reference to the exclusion. Under the rules of the Financial Ombudsman Service, I’m required to ask Mr M to accept or reject my decision before 17 November 2018.

Having read your helpful advice, it is clear that my thinking was hopelessly flawed. I thought I would use the FOS findings to help support the contention that the insurance companies 'breached' the terms of the contract and were negligent. Both companies had applied an exclusion clause with no good cause to do so, which had been the cornerstone of my arguments throughout the entire convoluted complaints process.

I thank you profusely for your help. I need to re-think this, including looking into whether I can retract the written acceptance because I feel so strongly about wanting to at least, send the two insurers involved a 'letter before action'. Certainly I would have made a costly mistake had you need been there to clarify these issues for me.

I believe the objective for taking this through the Courts was to get compensation which reflects the hardship I went through as a result of being denied the policy benefits.
                Last edited by Mack65; 1st November 2018, 23:01:PM. Reason: I forgot to add the objective for persuing this through Court.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X