• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Office Copies/Certified Copies of Enduring Power of Attorney

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office Copies/Certified Copies of Enduring Power of Attorney

Hi There

We registered my mother's EPA last year and received it back from the OPG but since then, unfortunately, one of the pages got lost. I spoke with the OPG who provided me with an Office Copy (for £35) advising that this could be used in exactly the same way as the original. They advised they won't do further copies unless they are to replace lost ones. I disposed of the original as I now had a new copy with all pages intact.

We are selling my mother's house as she will not be returning to it and I have gone to a solicitor to have a number of 'Certified Copies' made for use in selling the house and also to send to a few other financial institutions. They have advised me that they can't make copies from this 'Office Copy' that the OPG has provided as it isn't the original. I have explained that the 'original' no longer exists as it has been superseded by the Office Copy I have and the only copy at the OPG is not the original either. The solicitors have advised that this isn't their policy, it would be the same for all solicitors.

Who is correct? If the solicitor is correct, how do I ever get a Certified Copy of the EPA produced?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Tags: None

Hi Cramberton,

Technically the lawyer is correct. A certified copy of a document is certifying it is a true copy of the original document. In this instance you do not have the original document so a certified copy can't be possible. This may help here:- https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document

I think your only option is to deal with each institution or company individually to provide them with the official copy that you have and request it's return asap. I would also suggest dealing by registered post at all times. You already know how much it would cost to replace the document you have and the delay this would also cause.

Annoying but I think it is your only solution unless you wish to pay for further official copies?
    I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X