• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shoplifting but not physically caught

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoplifting but not physically caught

I just shoplifted some trivial items from Tesco. The security guard passed me in the shop and I think he wondered why my bag for life was so full, I then quickly left the store and noticed as I was pulling out of my parking space he was standing outside.

He will have seen my number plate. Can anything be done to me now, unsure if I was caught on can-era? Can he turn my number plate into the police and what should I do if they turn up? I am happy to rectify and pay for the items will they let me do this without charge or it going any further?
    Tags: None

Store can request DVLA for registered keeper details of the vehicle you drove.

They may do so and report incident to police.

Paying afterwards because you got caught does not make it better.

So court action could happen.

Comment

Thank you, I feel horrible, I have fallen on hard times and I knows it’s absolutley no excuse but it was dog food and treats and some cleaning product. He never actually saw me and unsure if I was caught on cctv, I think he mainly just had a suspicion. I have a private reg so very memorable too, I just wonder if returning items would be best but don’t want to rock the boat for no reason.

If police showed up and I admitted and asked to pay or rectify would they let me off?

Comment

Hi and welcome
        Unless they caught you on CCTV, and then kept you under constant surveillance until you left the store and could show at no time you were in a position to
        dispose of the items within the store, they would have a difficult task to prove theft unless you admitted it.
        Accordingly if the police do turn up at your door, or request you attend at the police station for a "chat" or interview, refuse to answer any questions, or even discuss the weather, unless your solicitor is present.If you haven't a solicitor, ask for the duty solicitor.
        Do not be fooled if they tell you it's just a chat, or it will be worse for you if you insist on the solicitor's presence. In this case the police will not be your friend
        They won't let you off because you admit theft,,,, their subsequent actions will depend on a number of things including the value of the goods

Comment

https://youtu.be/mCxKvxDiOGU The advice in this video is excellent.

Comment

they if no internal video proof have to apprehend you on exit of premises, if they not stopped you they have no case only hearsay! as it use to be in my day!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X