• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bailiffs on a rental property (not my debt)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailiffs on a rental property (not my debt)

Hi,

So, there is a company registered on my current address. We suspect it bankrupted somewhere in 2016 according to the info we can find online. I also suspect it belongs to (one) of my current landlords. But again, I have no real proof of this aside from the limited online information when searching the registered companies database. The landlord keeps insisting they don’t know anything about it.

The only things are, 1) the landlord owns the entire building (2 flats and 3 shops), 2) the company is not and never was registered to my flat specifically. Yet, we keep getting their debt collection junk mail. I’ve let several of their creditors know to stop harassing me, most of them have taken the hint.

HMRC however does not seem to be getting it... I have had at least 3 knocks on the door by the same “field force agent” in the last few months demanding immediate payment. Each and every time I have told her we don’t know this company and we are inhabiting the flat as the sole two occupants. She went away every time without much hassle, but today she put a hand delivered letter through the door again - saying she will come by on Monday to collect payment. She is also now threating to start a Taking Control of Goods procedure if the money is not repayed.

Obviously as it’s not my debt, she is not getting a single penny. And I am planning on reporting her to HMRC for harrasment on a debt not owed, as she had been told several times.

my question, however, is this: if the company does belong to my landlord, and a Taking Control of Goods procedure is launched - where does this leave us as tenants in a part furnished flat? The flat was part furnished and we have an inventory of the furniture not owned by us. I assume they can repossess those, but not our own possessions (which make up the majority of the furniture in the flat). How do we stop her from gaining entry through a locksmith and how do we enforce she keeps to the correct inventory? How do we proof ownership of certain valuable goods, some of which we do not have a proof of purchase for?

Furthermore, as the majority of furniture already belongs to me - are they allowed to reposses essential items? I.e; the chairs, fridge, bed? And does this not lead to a breach of contract on the landlord’s part ? What are our rights here exactly?

Thanks,

Pixx
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X