• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Dodgy double Glazing installation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodgy double Glazing installation

Hi I am new to the site but would appreciate any help available regarding a problem I have with the supply and installation of Double glazing. I selected a supposedy reputable company with good references to repalce all the windows and doors in my home, which was a considerable investment. The sales and scheduling processes were good, however upon installation it became clear that there was a quality issue with the work being carried out. I complained to the company and told them that I was going to withold the final payment which was equivalent of 40% of the total bill, until the issues were resolved. They sent someone to repair the damage and unfortunately that was not successful. At this point I then infomed them that I was not happy and that I wanted a substantial gesture from them in terms of a reduction from my final bill. They refused offering me a discount of £200, which I turned down. A considerable delay ensued so eventually I wrote to them and asked if there was a mediation scheme that we could use to reach resolution on the defects and impact of the delays. They declined to even answer for four weeks and then eventually wrote back offering to install all new units for the damaged ones. I agreed to a meeting and discussed my concern, eventually agreeing to the installation of replacement units to replace the damaged ones with the very clear instruction that I would not accept anything which was damaged during installation again. A total of 12 months from the 1st installation date the windows were replaced over a period of 3 days. The installer was one of the team who made such a mess in the first installation, he was surly and aggressive and in the end I have eneded up with damaged window frames again. The firm has not contacted us to check if the installation was successful, they have just sent the bill for the remaining 40% less £200 for the troubles. The actual bill was over £20K. What are my rights, personally I never want to deal with the company again, but I do not think that the final bill should be settled in full. I feel that there should be a substantial deduction for the time and trouble caused and also the defects in the frames that are now gracing my home.
    Tags: None

How did you pay for / finance the windows to date?
    Do you have a copy of the agreement between the window company and yourself?

Under the consumer right act of course the service ( fitting the windows) has to be conducted within a reasonable time and with reasonable care and skill.

£200 for all the problems you have experienced with the windows is ridiculous.

£20k seems a lot for windows in any event …. but it's been a while since I've had to do it myself.

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I guess that the fact they replaced the damaged windows in the first place is their admission that shoddy workmanship was done. I would imagine that you would have had a guarantee with your new windows. When was the work finally completed? Did you take photos of the sub standard work? If there are still defects, have you considered contacting trading standards.

Comment

Originally posted by knowmyrights View Post
        Hi I am new to the site but would appreciate any help available regarding a problem I have with the supply and installation of Double glazing. I selected a supposedy reputable company with good references to repalce all the windows and doors in my home, which was a considerable investment. The sales and scheduling processes were good, however upon installation it became clear that there was a quality issue with the work being carried out. I complained to the company and told them that I was going to withold the final payment which was equivalent of 40% of the total bill, until the issues were resolved. They sent someone to repair the damage and unfortunately that was not successful. At this point I then infomed them that I was not happy and that I wanted a substantial gesture from them in terms of a reduction from my final bill. They refused offering me a discount of £200, which I turned down. A considerable delay ensued so eventually I wrote to them and asked if there was a mediation scheme that we could use to reach resolution on the defects and impact of the delays. They declined to even answer for four weeks and then eventually wrote back offering to install all new units for the damaged ones. I agreed to a meeting and discussed my concern, eventually agreeing to the installation of replacement units to replace the damaged ones with the very clear instruction that I would not accept anything which was damaged during installation again. A total of 12 months from the 1st installation date the windows were replaced over a period of 3 days. The installer was one of the team who made such a mess in the first installation, he was surly and aggressive and in the end I have eneded up with damaged window frames again. The firm has not contacted us to check if the installation was successful, they have just sent the bill for the remaining 40% less £200 for the troubles. The actual bill was over £20K. What are my rights, personally I never want to deal with the company again, but I do not think that the final bill should be settled in full. I feel that there should be a substantial deduction for the time and trouble caused and also the defects in the frames that are now gracing my home.
        The windows cost £21k, (there are alot of them) and some were aluminium and some UPVC (about 60/40). The UVPC ones have been damaged badly and it impacts their appearance. £6k was on hold pending the repair of the windows. The damage is significant but cosmetic, the windows are water tight etc. Trading Standards referred me to the mediation option and pretty much told me that they didn't have the resources. The balances were paid by bank card, not credit card...."

Comment

Have you tried this http://www.tgas.org.uk/

Comment

As you haven't yet paid the final account, you do hold the whiphand.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 (CRA 29015) gives you as a remedy the right to a price reduction (Sec 56)
            The reduction must be appropriate and could even be the full price paid.

The remedy of a repeat performance was requested.
            That remedy appears not to ave been done in a reasonable time, and without undue inconvenience.
            As it failed you can invoke the price reduction remedy.

However it has to be "appropriate" and if agreement cannot be obtained it would be for a court to decide the amount.

I would suggest obtaining a couple of quotes from other firms to bring the installation to a satisfactory condition, then add an amount for all the inconvenience (days of work??)
            Use that as a starting point and tell the original outfit that if they won't negotiate a reasonable figure they will need go whistle as this is the amount you are retaining.
            Then pay any balance and retain the rest
            Then see if they issue a claim, which you will be able to defend.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X