• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

GAP Insurance & Voluntary Termination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GAP Insurance & Voluntary Termination

Hi,
    I have invoked a Voluntary Termination process with GMAC Finance. Following the advice on this forum most things have gone well. However, I have been asked to pay approx. £ 260 for GAP insurance. Checking my original agreement, the original cost of GAP insurance plus interest, is approx. £500.00. This amount was included in the monthly repayments. GMAC maintain that the GAP insurance was paid in full at the start of the repayment agreement and therefore I owe them a balance of £ 260.00 (approx.). Is this correct? They have also quoted the following from the agreement document: "Please note that the Termination and Repossession rights set out in the notes above only apply to that part of this Agreement which relates to the vehicle. The figures shown in the notices do not include any amounts payment to any GAP_ insurance or warranty you have purchased." Is this also correct?
    From what they are telling me I fear they may be correct. However, as they tried to hoodwink me into signing their Voluntary Termination pack I do not trust them and would welcome some independent advise.
    Hope you can help.
    Tags: None

Hello

You would have to upload the contract and the terms and conditions to understand your position (personal info removed). However, just because something might be written into a contract does not necessarily mean that it is enforceable, particularly if contracts such as HP agreements are regulated by legislation and contradict those provisions.

Courts have always stated that its not about the form but rather the substance.In other words, you have to look at how the contract was created as a whole and not, as GMAC suggest, rely on specific words (but that's not to say a court might come to the same conclusion anyway). Normally when GAP is sold, it is done by the sales advisors of dealerships as part of the whole package and which is incorporated consumer credit agreement, and forming part of the total price payable under the agreement in which you pay one monthly sum.

If the above follows your current situation then it is definitely arguable that the GAP is not a separate agreement and therefore is a form of credit part of the total amount under the agreement (which is then not recoverable if you have already paid 50%). If, however, the GAP was intended to be independent and separate from the consumer credit of the car, then they should have supplied you with a separate agreement with separate terms and conditions and you would be paying a separate direct debit.

However, only you can make that decision and take any risks that come with it i.e. GMAC going to court, though I've yet to see them do that it is not impossible.

Hope that helps

P.s. you can usually source GAP insurance for 1/3 less if you shop around independently than taking up the offer from the dealer.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Re GAP insurance, you can write directly to the insurer to cancel it.
      Most (not all) insurers allow a pro rata return of premium less a small administration charge.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
        Re GAP insurance, you can write directly to the insurer to cancel it.
        Most (not all) insurers allow a pro rata return of premium less a small administration charge.
        This too, and that can be an argument used by GMAC to say its a separate agreement, though I would argue differently!
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X