• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Peugeot 208 Engine Fault.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peugeot 208 Engine Fault.

I purchased a used Peugeot 208 from Lookers dealership in 2016. I have had the car for 2 years and it has a total mileage of 27,000. The car is a 13 plate.
    During the last few weeks the engine management light has appeared intermittently and a noticeable rattling vibrating noise coming from the engine bay.
    After taking it into Peugeot for a diagnostic check, i have been told that the crankshaft pulley is faulty and a new engine is required.
    The car is out of warranty and i am through 27 months of a 48 month finance agreement.
    Peugeot have already admitted some liability as they have offered a good will contribution towards the cost of a new engine.I am still awaiting a response with regards to this.
    As far as i am concerned the vehicle is no longer fit for purpose and has not lasted a reasonable amount of time.
    Can you advise on what course of action i should be taking next.

Kind Regards.
    Tags: None

You might find this link interesting: http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...ngines-119978/

Would seem to be a problem that Peugeot are well aware of, so push for more than just a "goodwill contribution"

I would pursue a replacement engine rather than go down the "reject as unsatisfactory" path with all the associated problems , stress and uncertainty.

tagging R0b

Comment

I agree with Des on this, it might be better to get a replacement engine rather than try to reject it in the first instance.

As the car is financed, you really need to deal with this through the finance company because they own the own the vehicle and your contract is with them, not the Peugeot dealership. That might add a bit of pressure on the dealership to agree to replace the vehicle if you go through the finance company but if not, then perhaps your only option as a last resort may be to terminate the agreement - though you should do so carefully.

My view is that you should make a formal complaint to the finance company, setting out the problems and I would explain that for a newish car with only 27,000 miles on the clock you wouldn't have expected the car to have sustained that type of damage. You could, I guess, refer to some of the research you've online and reference to the link Des has provided you but whether that would help, I don't know.

You may also want to consider getting an independent report on the vehicle which might assist in suggesting that the fault is inherent rather than the user of the vehicle. Also if you paid a deposit on credit card then you could also have a claim against the credit card company as an alternative option if the matter did end up in court.

Check your home insurance if you have any and see if there is legal cover on there too, just in case you want to use it if things get messy.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for your advice. I will keep you updated!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X