• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

shoplifting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shoplifting

I was caught shoplifting, however when caught the shop stated that me on camera in the shop b4 shoplifting, they did not call the police, but did say if I return the stock I took
    that would be the end of the matter. the shop was closing though did they just want me details because they did not want to stay late?
    Tags: None

Is there a question?

Comment

Hi and welcome.
      I'm afraid your post is rather confusing.
      What sort of shop, Tesco/Primark/Boots/corner shop?
      What was the value of the goods?
      Were the goods returned in saleable condition?

If it was one of a chain of shops such as a supermarket, and you gave them your details, the most likely scenario is that you will receive a letter demanding a sum of money .
      The letter will be from a company such as Retail Loss Prevention or DWF.
      They will pretend the company from whom you tried to steal has suffered a loss which you have to pay
      In spite of the threats they will make, you can safely ignore their letters.
      You do not have to pay them anything.
      These people do not levy fines, they just make demands, backed up by threats.

Comment

yes so basically I was in John Lewis, they caught me shoplifting outside the shop, but when they took me to a back room, they explained that I had been in the shop b4 shoplifting and the had me on camera, and they stated the goods I had taken and the date, which was true. they then advised me ,if I returned the perfume ,I had taken previously, in November last year. they would not take it any further. and took my details, the goods they caught me with yesterday. they had everything back, but the goods have been used, they said that was fine, they just wanted to perfume back. what do I do?
        Last edited by fredda; 7th April 2018, 11:19:AM. Reason: the good were 500 pounds

Comment

Originally posted by paulajayne View Post
          Is there a question?
          what do I do, send the goods back ?

Comment

Is there a question?
            do I send the goods back ?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
              Hi and welcome.
              I'm afraid your post is rather confusing.
              What sort of shop, Tesco/Primark/Boots/corner shop?
              What was the value of the goods?
              Were the goods returned in saleable condition?

If it was one of a chain of shops such as a supermarket, and you gave them your details, the most likely scenario is that you will receive a letter demanding a sum of money .
              The letter will be from a company such as Retail Loss Prevention or DWF.
              They will pretend the company from whom you tried to steal has suffered a loss which you have to pay
              In spite of the threats they will make, you can safely ignore their letters.
              You do not have to pay them anything.
              These people do not levy fines, they just make demands, backed up by threats.
              it was John Lewis ,basically ,they stopped me with 500 pounds worth of goods, but they stated that they had me on cctv stealing b4 .And advised dates and times and what I had taken, this was correct. but they did not call the police, and then stated if I brought the goods back, that would be the end of the matter. But would it ,surely if I took the goods back they could still prosecute me. not sure what to do, and if I do not return the goods they have all my details, would the police arrest me?

Comment

Is there a question?
                it was John Lewis ,basically ,they stopped me with 500 pounds worth of goods, but they stated that they had me on cctv stealing b4 .And advised dates and times and what I had taken, this was correct. but they did not call the police, and then stated if I brought the goods back, that would be the end of the matter. But would it ,surely if I took the goods back they could still prosecute me. not sure what to do, and if I do not return the goods they have all my details, would the police arrest me?

Comment

Obviously John Lewis had you on a watch list, having seen you on CCTV on earlier ocassion(s).
                  They confronted you, you admitted the offences and gave them your details.

It could be that their evidence is not strong enough to obtain a conviction.
                  I would expect though that they would want a conviction of a serial shoplifter who has walked out with £500s worth of goods.
                  One way of obtaining evidence would be for you to return the goods.

on the other hand, returning the goods would possibly be in your favour if they ever reported the thefts to the police.
                  And you don't know whether or not they will keep to their assurance that if you return the goods they won't take the matter further.

It could be they don't want the hassle of reporting the incidents, but also don't want you to have the benefit from the stolen items and will rely on civil recovery to recoup their losses.

tagging Amethyst for further thoughts as i'm no sure which is the better course of action for you.

Comment

Returning the goods seems sensible to me. They could contact the police in any event - whether you return previously stolen goods or not - as they have your details and seemingly your admission - but it would be better for you if you return the goods with an apology, if you still have the perfume of course, I think you said it was used, so you could offer to pay for it. It seems they have evidence already, and you were honest with them when you were confronted which has allowed them to give you a chance to possibly try to rectify things without police involvment. If it turns out they do want you to return the goods so they have further evidence of the previous theft to assist a prosecution then you just need to take the consequences I'm afraid.

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                      Obviously John Lewis had you on a watch list, having seen you on CCTV on earlier ocassion(s).
                      They confronted you, you admitted the offences and gave them your details.

It could be that their evidence is not strong enough to obtain a conviction.
                      I would expect though that they would want a conviction of a serial shoplifter who has walked out with £500s worth of goods.
                      One way of obtaining evidence would be for you to return the goods.

on the other hand, returning the goods would possibly be in your favour if they ever reported the thefts to the police.
                      And you don't know whether or not they will keep to their assurance that if you return the goods they won't take the matter further.

It could be they don't want the hassle of reporting the incidents, but also don't want you to have the benefit from the stolen items and will rely on civil recovery to recoup their losses.

tagging Amethyst for further thoughts as i'm no sure which is the better course of action for you.
                      thanks you for your answer appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                        Returning the goods seems sensible to me. They could contact the police in any event - whether you return previously stolen goods or not - as they have your details and seemingly your admission - but it would be better for you if you return the goods with an apology, if you still have the perfume of course, I think you said it was used, so you could offer to pay for it. It seems they have evidence already, and you were honest with them when you were confronted which has allowed them to give you a chance to possibly try to rectify things without police involvment. If it turns out they do want you to return the goods so they have further evidence of the previous theft to assist a prosecution then you just need to take the consequences I'm afraid.
                        thanks you. it just seems strange that they asked me to return the items especially, that it was over 6 months ago.if they have evidence why did they not just prosecute me. and if they do, what kind of discipline would occur?

Comment

Originally posted by fredda View Post

thanks you for your answer appreciated
                          thanks you. it just seems strange that they asked me to return the items especially, that it was over 6 months ago.if they have evidence why did they not just prosecute me. and if they do, what kind of discipline would occur?

Comment

Their CCTV evidence by itself may not be sufficient to stand up in court.
                            It would need to show you through out the store and then walking out without paying.
                            If it doesn't you could have argued that you had had second thoughts and abandoned the goods at some other point in the store.
                            However you have now admitted the offence, which has strengthened their case.
                            Return of goods would be final evidence.

However they have said if you return the goods they will not take the matter further.
                            As Amethyst if you return the goods together with an abject apology and an offer to pay, that will be in your favour if they do take the matter further.

The store will not prosecute you, but may report it to the police.
                            Due to the time lapse that might not happen, but if it does you may be invited to the police station for an interview.
                            If that happens do make sure you have a solicitor present.
                            Ask the police to arrange for the duty solicitor to attend (its free)

The police may or may not refer the matter for prosecution.
                            As the value of the goods exceed £200, if the matter is considered for prosecution it will be dealt with by the Crown Prosecution Service
                            If the police decide not to refer for prosecution they may just give you a caution.

All this however depends on John Lewis.
                            I'm afraid we cannot guess what they may or may not do.
                            You will have to decide whether or not to return those goods.

Comment

thanks you all for your comments
                              I appreciate them all Freda

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X