• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caravan sold by site where it was stored

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caravan sold by site where it was stored

We have a touring caravan which we put on a seasonal pitch and winter store at the same site. We have not used it this year and thought it was stored over winter as it was last year. We have contacted the owner to go and sort site fees and arrange to move it snd he informed us that he has sold the caravan as he hadnt heard from us.
    as the caravan is legally ours can he get away with doing this. I understand we owe him rent but he has not contacted us to ask/remind to make payment.
    in my eyes he has stolen my caravan. Can anyone please advise
    Tags: None

Hi and welcome
    The Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977. defines wrongful interference with goods as: conversion of goods;

The site owner was a bailee, and it was his duty to take reasonable care of your property.
    He had no right to sell it, and should now pay you the full value of your losses

Comment

Originally posted by Angela36 View Post
      We have a touring caravan which we put on a seasonal pitch and winter store at the same site. We have not used it this year and thought it was stored over winter as it was last year. We have contacted the owner to go and sort site fees and arrange to move it snd he informed us that he has sold the caravan as he hadnt heard from us.
      as the caravan is legally ours can he get away with doing this. I understand we owe him rent but he has not contacted us to ask/remind to make payment.

Do you have a copy of the contract you signed with the site and does it say anything in that document about them having a lien over your goods/caravan in the event of unpaid rent?

How was the rent supposed to be paid according to the contract i.e. by monthly Direct Debit or on receipt of an invoice?

You may need to establish whether the rent must be ‘demanded’ for it to become due. I’m not sure that not sending you reminders matters but let’s see what the contract says.

How much were the rent arrears and what was the value of the caravan and how much was it sold for?

Di

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X