• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Built in coffee machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Built in coffee machine

I purchased a built in coffee machine in May 2013 from Appliance City. I am going to find out how I paid for the item in the next couple of days-hopefully on my credit card. It had an initial problem but this was sorted promptly. The item came with a two year warranty.

The machine started giving problems in February 2015 whilst still under warranty. This started a series of various faults and at least 8 visits (possibly more!) over an 18 month period ,from a variety of technicians sent direct from Miele who manufactured the item. The last visit was Autumn 2016 and at that point I told Miele I did not want the machine as it was far too troublesome. Miele said that they would apply a further years warranty which I agreed to.

The machine then broke down again December just gone and was out of warranty at that stage so now Miele want to charge for a repair and will only offer a 20% on any parts needed. I then turned to Appliance City from whom I purchased the machine and it was the same story from them. I purchased the machine as Miele had a good reputation for longevity and trouble free running of their products. Can anyone clarify how I might get a result on this?

Ideally I would like my money back or a new machine from Appliance City. If this machine had run trouble free for four years then I would not have minded so much paying for a repair but the machine has been a nightmare for breakdowns over a prolonged period and I suspect it has a few inherent faults that Miele won't admit to.

I intend to get some sort of satisfaction from this as I am not at all happy with either Miele or Appliance City. Currently I have asked Appliance City to look at the matter again and if the are a member of any trade association that would handle an independent appeal. All advice on this matter ids greatly appreciated. Mc
    Last edited by McGinty; 2nd February 2018, 19:29:PM.
    Tags: None

Can someone move this to the correct area as I don't know how!

Comment

Hi Mcginty,

It might be helpful to edit your post and break up your text as it's difficult to read.

In my view, you are not entitled to a brand new one, or even a refurbished one to that matter. This is because at the time you wanted to reject the coffee machine Miele offered you an extra one year warranty. You accepted this warranty and so that is likely to be seen as the matter being resolved and therefore the right to reject would have been lost.

It seems that your only option is to have it repaired or replace the coffee machine altogether. You could try asking for a refurbished coffee machine or a discount towards a new one but I wouldn't go as far as saying you are entitled to it.

I'm sorry if its not what you wanted to hear but in hindsight, it sounds like it would have been best for you to reject the coffee machine when the issues arose and then get a new one or replacement.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
        Hi Mcginty,

It might be helpful to edit your post and break up your text as it's difficult to read.

In my view, you are not entitled to a brand new one, or even a refurbished one to that matter. This is because at the time you wanted to reject the coffee machine Miele offered you an extra one year warranty. You accepted this warranty and so that is likely to be seen as the matter being resolved and therefore the right to reject would have been lost.

It seems that your only option is to have it repaired or replace the coffee machine altogether. You could try asking for a refurbished coffee machine or a discount towards a new one but I wouldn't go as far as saying you are entitled to it.

I'm sorry if its not what you wanted to hear but in hindsight, it sounds like it would have been best for you to reject the coffee machine when the issues arose and then get a new one or replacement.

Hi Rob,

Apologies for the messy text! I know what you are saying but the coffee machine has been an exasperating experience. Is it possible for you to move this to the correct forum please as I don't know how to do that.

Really struggling with the new layout of this site and I think I much prefer the old one. I don't know how to access my previous posts either.
        Mc

Comment

I can't move it to the correct forum I'm afraid but I've tagged Kati to do it.

The real issue you have is that you accepted the extra one year warranty and did not about it afterwards. It is likely to be seen as acceptance as the problem being resolved in lieu of you rejecting your coffee machine. This is in addition to the fact that you've already had some use out of it so in any event I would assume Miele would argue that any compensation awarded (if a court agreed with you) there ought to be a deduction of compensation for use of the machine already.

You could try and argue for some compensation in cash, or they might even offer a voucher higher in value to the cash compensation or maybe a discount on a new machine. If neither are willing to budge then you might end up as legal proceedings as your last resort and I think it would be risky to do that based on the current facts.

The new layout needs to take some getting used to but at the top of the forum there is a link that says subscribed threads. If you click on that then you will see all the threads you posted on and you can sort by date too - that might help.
          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Ended up with a good result on this. Got 30% a new machine and Appliance City agreed to have the other one fixed via Miele. Engineer on the day tried to be funny saying we couldn't have both but I pointed out our agreement was with Miele to supply a new machine at the agreed discount and Appliance were organising the repair-two different companies. I had to fork out some cash but more than happy with the deal. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X