• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Shared water supply

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shared water supply

The mains water pipe supplying my home and the 4 adjoining homes burst beneath my bathroom and the insurance company failed to act and let it flow hard for 9 months causing extensive damage to my home.
    They claim the delay was due to getting authorisation from my neighbours which is total nonsense.
    Because the pipe is below my bathroom floor should they have gone ahead and stopped the flow of water.
    Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Shared water supply

Hi and welcome to LB.

I think you'll have to give us more information about this problem!
    1) do you own your home , or is ie rented
    2)if your own, presumably you have buildings insurance which covers underground services, burst pipes.,and water damage?
    3) was it this insurance company which delayed the repairs, or was there a separate policy covering the underground services

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      Hi and welcome to LB.

I think you'll have to give us more information about this problem!
      1) do you own your home , or is ie rented
      2)if your own, presumably you have buildings insurance which covers underground services, burst pipes.,and water damage?
      3) was it this insurance company which delayed the repairs, or was there a separate policy covering the underground services
      Yes I own my own home,yes I have insurance for the services mentioned,and yes it's the one policy for the property.
      but I am trying to determine if my insurance company alone is responsible for the repair as it's the section of pipe is under my house, and we're they right to seek payment from the adjoining houses towards the cost.
      if they were wrong then the pipe should have been fixed asap and not 9 months later.
      thanks

Comment

Is the portion of the pipe that is damaged the common pipe or just your section? If it is common could it be the resposibilty of your water company?

My thought is that the responsibility for getting it fixed is yours to reduce loss and the responsibility for paying is the insurance company

Comment

It's the common pipe,the main feed to the 5 houses before my feed pipe.
          its under the floor so Scottish water is not responsible.
          i feel it should be my insurance company alone as it beneath my property.
          thanks

Comment

It doesn't really matter whose responsibility it is.
            Assuming you have full coverage, and it is with a single company they should now repair all the damage (including the burst pipe) and then they could pursue the other parties if appropriate.
            If they had repaired the burst immediately it would presumably have prevented further damage (which they are now having to pay to repair.
            If your house has been rendered uninhabitable a decent policy will also pay for any alternative accommodation while it is repaired.

Have they now repaired or arranged for the repairs to goo ahead?
            Are they offering any compensation for their lack of action?
            Have you a written record, or was it all by 'phone?
            Have you lodged a formal complaint?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
              It doesn't really matter whose responsibility it is.
              Assuming you have full coverage, and it is with a single company they should now repair all the damage (including the burst pipe) and then they could pursue the other parties if appropriate.
              If they had repaired the burst immediately it would presumably have prevented further damage (which they are now having to pay to repair.
              If your house has been rendered uninhabitable a decent policy will also pay for any alternative accommodation while it is repaired.

Have they now repaired or arranged for the repairs to goo ahead?
              Are they offering any compensation for their lack of action?
              Have you a written record, or was it all by 'phone?
              Have you lodged a formal complaint?
              The repair took half a day to fix.
              I am still waiting on a visit from the loss assessor, and yes I have lots on paper work regarding the whole thing.
              A formal complaint is in the hands of the financial ombudsman.
              thanks for your advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X