• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

fixed term contract can i get made redundant?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixed term contract can i get made redundant?

Hi all

My wife has a fixed term contract from a school and the contract is named for a percific child, the contract end date is 2020 but was only started in July 2017.

Now the school is going to an academy and they are making redundancies but as she has a fixed term contract can they make her redundant or would they have to pay out her contract?

Please could anyone help if so I can give more info if needed
    Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: fixed term contract can i get made redundant?

I think it will depend on the wording of her contract.
    If her contract allows her to be dismissed then her employer should give the appropriate notice period.
    If her employer wishes to end her contract and there is no provision to do so in her contract of employment, they
    may be in breach of contract.

tagging @Ula

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
      I think it will depend on the wording of her contract.
      If her contract allows her to be dismissed then her employer should give the appropriate notice period.
      If her employer wishes to end her contract and there is no provision to do so in her contract of employment, they
      may be in breach of contract.

tagging @Ula
      Thanks for the reply
      In her contract it says it would only be ended if anything changes with the child named i.e. if they move school or funding stops but nothing about redundancy etc

Comment

Fixed-term employees have a right to statutory redundancy pay if they have been continuously employed for two years or more the same as permanent employees.

Your wife's contract could be terminated early though her employer should still identify a fair reason, follow a fair process and avoid treating her less favourably than permanent employees. If the contract itself does not allow for early termination, unless the employee has committed an act of gross misconduct, the employee may be entitled to be paid what they would have earned during the remainder of the contract term.
        Last edited by Amethyst; 31st October 2017, 08:55:AM.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X