• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barclay's Send Barrister To Allocation Hearing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclay's Send Barrister To Allocation Hearing

found this on another site
    looks like we all need to get prepared

I went to court this morning with my friend who has a claim against barclays. The bank sent a barrister. There were about ten cases being heard at ten then more through the day a total of about 40 - 50 cases - just with barclays.

The barrister gave a list of directions and all seven claiments that turned up for the ten slot went in together to see the judge.

They have moved the claims to fast track so it can be heard by a higher judge (circuit judge).

They have set a date 4/12/07

Barclays will be defending the case - this will mean a precedent will be set locally (Essex)

If there is then an appeal this will set a precedent nationally.

The claimants were all worried about having to pay costs but the judge said this would be split between the fifty or more cases so it wouldn't be too much!

They also expressed concern about having to wait til december and the judge said it would not be any quicker in small claims.

The judge really slated the banks for not being prepared (their barrister did not have all the case notes) and for not sorting this out sooner and therefore wasting everybodys time.

ha that told barclays!

I will keep you informed

could be game on at last :banana:
    Advice & opinions of granby are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability
    Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts

I subscribed to a thread this morning about a directions hearing 14.30 this afternoon, Barclays said they will be attending that one. I have just checked and there is no post as yet to the outcome. Will keep you informed. I subscribed bescause I have a dierctions hearing on 24th August

Comment

at the moment it only seems to be barclays
      Advice & opinions of granby are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability
      Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts

Comment

Yes that one is barclays I subscribed to, this afternoon it is

Comment

London, UK - July 25, 2007 - Southend County Court

Claimants of charges from Barclays’ Bank are to face a Circuit Court test to prove them as unlawful.

Barclays sent a Barrister to defend a day’s worth of cases (40-50 cases, in batches of 10), choosing to defend each case rather than settle. This is a major breakthrough for penalty charges advocates who believe that each charge set out is unlawful and unfair.

The cases are set to be heard on the 4th December this year and have been moved to the fast track circuit. Barclays have made it clear their intention to fully defend the cases, however we expect them to make a better effort of it than today.

One of the claimants said today that the “Judge really attacked the bank for not being prepared. The barrister defending didn’t even have all the case notes with him”. Jo, a Beauty Salon owner, also said that the Judge was unhappy that “the bank had not sorted the claims out in a timely manner and had been wasting everybody’s time”.

Stephen Hone, penaltycharges.co.uk founder, said:

“We are really glad that one of the banks we are fighting has finally decided to step up and defend their practices. We are confident that the Circuit Court Judge will find in favour of the Penalty Charges Forums litigants, which will set a precedent which will matter.”

If the Judge finds in favour of the claimants, we believe Barclays will be forced to appeal, tying up our users in litigation for the next year. However this will firmly set precedent across the country and put to rest any question about the legality of the charges.

Mr Hone added: “We are keen to win the cases and see them go to appeal. We believe there are more litigants out there facing Barclays and we org them to contact us. The chance to finally set precedent is what we’ve been waiting for. In fact, we say: BRING IT ON!”

About penaltycharges.co.uk
          The Penalty Charges site and forum was setup to provide all the help, support and legal advice needed to claim back unfair bank charges. All the advice given on the site is provided for free and includes advice from other consumers who have successfully reclaimed their bank charges.
          Visit www.penaltycharges.co.uk for further information.

Contacts:
          Stephen Hone, Penalty Charges Founder
          stephen@penaltycharges.co.uk

James Cox, Penalty Charges Press Officer
          james@imajes.info
          "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X