• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Spring is here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring is here

Good morning LB,

This morning here on the north Essex coast it is sunny and already 15C.
    My gardens a full of spring flowers, crocus, snowdrops and daffodils.
    European collared doves mating on the roofs of the garages and collecting
    nest building materials.

Yet we see the tragedy of Lancashire and Cumberland's flooding happening
    all over again with a red warning for today and the army attempting to beat
    the "tide".

It strikes me that was this flooding in a " 3rd world state, the British Government
    would be chucking billions at it mobilising the RN and Air Force , charities would
    be begging for money.

What happen here just a few millions made available and warning that the populations
    of the affected areas to take precautions ??

Is everything buggered in the UK or is it just me.

nem
    Tags: None

Re: Spring is here

Well Nem, I have a wife who agrees with you regarding billions to third world countries and little at home.
    I however think the problems are on a different scale.
    When the monsoons hit harder than expected in eg Bangladesh tens of thousands are made homeless. Their homes disappear, the soil on their farms is scoured away, their crops are lost. Their situation is dire.
    The countries we once ruled to our profit need billions to preserve life.

In the UK we need little in comparison.
    Whether or not we invest sufficient in the UK "disaster" alleviation is not something, IMO, we should compare to the assistance that morally we should offer other countries in their hour of need.

Comment

Good morning Rob,
      Having in the past been on " disaster relief" deployments in many parts of the world over many years, when
      " on the spot" one did become aware of a disproportionate amount of aid available not only that but the incredible
      waste and misappropriation means that an increasingly small amount of " aid " actually reaches the people in need.
      Increasing the aid only increases the amount of corruption.
      Being an " insider " on the charities front as chair of a mil based charity I am staggered by the salaries and perks
      provided to the " execs" of the major charities.
      We opperate on volunteers with one paid exec the auditor on £1 pa. We do not advertise, shake collection boxes
      or seek publicity, we work behind the scenes quietly and without notice.

I have to say I'm not sure about any moral obligation to provide foreign aid when countries are visbly
      wealthy and have prosperous economies e.g. India/china.

nem

Comment

" Rob",??? Have I upset you that much, nem?( lol... no reflection on R0b)
        I agree corruption and waste should be eradicated, and bureaucracy siphons off more than is necessary.
        Whilst not having your close contact with military charities, I would not disagree with your comments.

I just don't think we should compare our "disasters" with those that overwhelm other countries.
        Yes, we should endeavour to ensure the aid reaches those that are in need, and possibly review the countries who receive it, and perhaps increase our spending on domestic assistance.
        Last edited by des8; 26th December 2015, 13:16:PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Well up to now in sunny Lancashire I just do not recall these last two recent (flood) events in comparison with any others in the last 25 years.

I do not know what the hell is happening other than nature is not doing what I am accustomed to.

I am amazed we still have power,running fresh water,gas..................some of my neighbours are not so lucky.

Fortunately the weather is more manageable (for now)......................................promise me some sunshine when we are closest to that "big orange" thing in the sky, I think not.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
            " Rob",??? Have I upset you that much, nem?( lol... no reflection on R0b)
            I agree corruption and waste should be eradicated, and bureaucracy siphons off more than is necessary.
            Whilst not having your close contact with military charities, I would not disagree with your comments.

I just don't think we should compare our "disasters" with those that overwhelm other countries.
            Yes, we should endeavour to ensure the aid reaches those that are in need, and possibly review the countries who receive it, and perhaps increase our spending on domestic assistance.
            Under health stress Des generalised bacterial infection caused painful lesions and respiratory problems, lack of concentration, certainly no offence meant!!

nem

Comment

None taken Nem.............. I thought perhaps it was the SPIRIT of Christmas

Trust you are now recovered

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                None taken Nem.............. I thought perhaps it was the SPIRIT of Christmas

Trust you are now recovered
                Side effects now Des, + my wife has now the same problem getting old I'm afraid.

nem

Comment

But you're a mere stripling Nem (at least 1 year younger than I and goodness knows how many younger than Sparkiemasred

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X