• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Illegal immigrants 'get carers jobs'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal immigrants 'get carers jobs'

Hundreds of illegal immigrants have found work in British care homes, according to a leaked Government report.

Officials found that they included a suspected murderer and other criminals, it said.
    The Home Office was accused of "turning a blind eye" to the matter after it was highlighted in the document three years ago.
    The report found that the employment of illegal immigrants to care for the elderly was "widespread" and "significant," following investigations into 110 suspected cases.
    It suggested more than half of employees in some care homes were illegal immigrants.
    Among their number was a Filipino suspected of murder who was working at a home in Plymouth.
    The Sunday Times, which obtained the report, said officials had complained that their findings had been largely ignored.
    Shadow home secretary David Davis said: "The Home Office is turning a blind eye and allowing some of the most vulnerable people to be put in the care of people who by definition cannot have a criminal records check."
    Immigration minister Liam Byrne said: "This report appears to pre-date the huge shake-up of the Border and Immigration Agency over the last year and a half.
    "Every visa applicant around the world is now fingerprinted before they reach here, ID cards become compulsory for all foreign nationals from November and £10,000 on-the-spot fines are now in place for any illegal workers."

Re: Illegal immigrants 'get carers jobs'

I find this totally sickening, how can we ever condone cheap labour to look after one of our most vunerable groups of people. That is all it is penny pinching, once again. I know care home workers are not on a great wage and many of the workers do it to fit in with other commitments like family.I know it's not a job I could do either. The fact is though there has been a few bad apples found in the ones that have had all the relevant checks.
    To think that some of these elderly people may have had to give up their homes and probably all of their pensions to come to this.It also puts the fear of god into me that I may through no fault of my own have to put my elderly parents in this sickening situation.

Comment

I think we need to remember that there would be no need for illegal employees if there were people able and willing to do the the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Nattie View Post
        I think we need to remember that there would be no need for illegal employees if there were people able and willing to do the the job.
        I am not disputing the fact that there maybe a shortage of employees for such jobs. That does not make it right to use people who can not have the basic checks to see if they are permitted these jobs.

Comment

..........and i wasn't saying that either. THe comment is about why there would be a need to employ people who are in this country without the correct documentation for them to do so rather than people who are legitimately here.

Comment

The situation regarding carers in the community is possibly just as bad.
            There are Care Agencies that don't do the basic checks before employing "carers" to work with elderly vulnerable people in their own homes. I know of one such "carer" who is violent and has a drug habit.
            Criminal records do not necessarily deter "carers" from being employed by Social Services to tend the elderly in their homes.

Comment

I know that Cyn that is why I mentioned the bad apples amongst the "legit" workers. I do think though that is very wrong and as I said before they can use these people cheaply and offer them no benefits or rights.

Comment

Hiya Cynthesys,

Quote: I know of one such "carer" who is violent and has a drug habit.

Have you reported this 'carer' to ALL the authorities?, because I bloody well would.

I do an Avon round a couple of times a month, and in one of my roads that I cover there is a house that is filthy, the occupier is a single woman in her 30's with a few kids (I have no idea if there is a father or fathers). Anyway she is a well know drug user and abuser, her kids are bedgraggled and not looked after at all, the house is an absolute tip and the front garden is worse, she has a small Staffie bitch that is continuously having puppies to fund her habit. The neighbours are at their wits end because of rats etc running about and the cars that call at all hours of the day and night with music blaring out.
                I have personally reported her to the RSPCA and the PDSA regarding the poor dog, and to the NSPCC and Social Services regarding the children,
                Personally I feel that it is our responsibility as law abiding, caring human beings to report such people.
                Oh and I thank god that she lives no where near me.

Comment

Yes, Sapp about 4 years ago I reported her and the agency she worked for, but it didnt seem to make any difference.
                  I understand she has recently left that job now anyway, think she is too whizzed up to work. Half the time she doesnt send her little boy to school, she is too out of it to get her arse out of bed.

Comment

Good for you hun, but I would go further and report her to everyone now, NSPCC, Social Services the coppers and anyone who will listen, to be honest I'd even be tempted to name and shame her to the local papers. I'd also tell the papers that you reported the situtation all that time ago and nothing was done. Obviously you'd have to do it all anonymously but that little boy's future depends on people reporting the likes of her.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X