• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Windows 10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 10

windows 10. The best spyware microsoft has ever released. ( becuase you can not stop it spying on you )

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29717...ce.html?page=2

One setting you should consider disabling is all the advertising integration in Windows 10. Some of this was also present in Windows 8, but if you’re just learning about it now you might as well turn it off.
    Personally, I don’t mind seeing ads on websites since that’s what pays for most of the free content we see online—including this site. What I do mind is “ad personalization.” I don’t need ads that are supposedly tailored to my personal tastes thanks to little cookie spies that follow my travels around the web. Generic ads targeted at a site or app’s most likely demographic are just fine by me, thanks.
    Turning off personalized ads in Windows 10 is a two-step process. First, go to Settings > Privacy > General and slide the option that says “Let apps use my advertising ID for experience across apps (turning this off will reset your ID)” to Off. (We’ll come back to the Settings app later to deal with the rest of those privacy settings.)
    gives you some basics, but dig a little deaper..

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-to-microsoft/

Other traffic looks a little more troublesome. Windows 10 will periodically send data to a Microsoft server named ssw.live.com. This server seems to be used for OneDrive and some other Microsoft services. Windows 10 seems to transmit information to the server even when OneDrive is disabled and logins are using a local account that isn't connected to a Microsoft Account. The exact nature of the information being sent isn't clear—it appears to be referencing telemetry settings—and again, it's not clear why any data is being sent at all. We disabled telemetry on our test machine using group policies.
    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

There are a few things with Win 10 I don't like from just hearing from others.
      As far as passwords are concerned though, this one has been around for years. http://www.roboform.com/lp?frm=rfp-0...Fc8aGwodmYEKrQ
      Roboform: I did just check and they do have a Win 10 version, there are others, but this is the one I remember.

I get codeproject emails, with this as a news item: http://arstechnica.com/information-t...ndows-patches/
      the by line in the email was :'Will they tell us if we guess it right?'

Comment

But if you use Chrome as your browser it has the ability to remember passwords (I do keep a separate list of password for reference)

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
          But if you use Chrome as your browser it has the ability to remember passwords (I do keep a separate list of password for reference)
          its also the safest to use, i use basic chrome ( or chromium on linux ) for general use and banking, i use Firefox with addblock and a few other tweeks, for everything else. Win10 looks a decent bit of software, but if most people realised what it was doing/collecting, they would have certainly taken time to consider before installing it.

I mean, a free OS ...... From Microsoft.... Lol,,,, more like they give it away free to build the words biggest hidden information service..
          crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

What makes you think a Google product called Chrome is the safest to use ?
            Chrome was designed for speedy browsing, not for high security, and although any browser based password saver is decent, it is not the best option.

Yes I do use a browser based password saver, for some passwords, but for anything important I should be using something else which is a higher encryption level.
            With Win 10, especially at this time, having many updates to fix bugs you know nothing about, I would think a decent way of storing passwords, which cannot be corrupted by a spurious update, would be paramount at this time.

I certainly wouldn't trust Win 10 to save any passwords, even via a password saver on a browser, at this time. Don't forget that all software, no matter which it is, uses the operating system software to run. If you alter the O.S. dll's then it is more likely that parts of your browser may get corrupted, over an encrypted saved file from a proper password saver.

Comment

Lol,, http://www.pcworld.com/article/29831...it-anyway.html

Whether you want Windows 10 or not, Microsoft says it may download the files to your PC regardless.
              Microsoft confirmed that it automatically downloads Windows 10 installation files on eligible PCs, provided automatic updates are enabled through Windows Update. The download occurs even if users haven’t opted in through the Windows 10 reservation dialog.

Why this matters: Microsoft appears to have crossed a line in its zeal to move people onto its latest operating system. Several reports indicate that the Windows 10 files take up as much as 6GB of storage in a hidden folder, potentially hamstringing machine
              Bye-bye bandwidth

PCWorld has also heard from several readers on this issue, including one whose data plan has been affected by the automatic download. The reader, who runs a small computer repair shop, did not reserve Windows 10, yet recently noticed 6GB missing from his main desktop.
              and

The Inquirer also spoke to a reader who said Windows 10 tries to install itself every time the machine is booted. It’s unclear if this is typical behavior for those who haven’t opted into the upgrade.This isn’t the only instance where Windows 10 has gotten users into trouble with data caps. By default, the system also uses peer-to-peer networking to distribute Windows 10 updates, potentially eating up bandwidth without users’ knowledge.
              errm, so it downloads 6gig, then uses a hidden peer to peer to distribute.... mmmmm i wander what else microsoft are helping themselves to from your pc and distributing on there peer to peer hidden network...... and nice of you to pay for the bandwidth, you bin getting slow internet recently, blame microsoft

Comment

Ok, I have downloaded windows 10 for my laptop and there are issues with it such as an error message that keeps coming up. The information from my workplace is NOT to download until the last possible moment of the "free period".
                "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Posted earlier as I had tried but 10 would not load properly.
                  Managed to get 7 back but still have some niggles.
                  Assistant in PC World told me the only way to solve it would be to a complete recovery.
                  But as every thing seems ok going to leave it for now.
                  Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Something else has happened now!
                    It seems that not content in trying to make you install 10 Microsoft are trying to get you to install 10 versions of e mail on Android.
                    I use ( or used now!) The Android app version of Outlook, it did an update yesterday and replaced a version that worked really well to one that will not work and that seems to have " lost" some saved e mails. There does not seem to be an option to enable you to keep the old version. Only used it as the default e mail app on this had the annoying habit of sending me multiple copies of a reply.
                    I will have to check on the PC later to see if that is OK but trying another "ap" for now for e mail on this device.
                    Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X