• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

FRACKING - are you for it, or against it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRACKING - are you for it, or against it?

I've read recent claims that the extraction of natural gas from shale beds buried under the UK will mean we will be self-sufficient when it comes to a reliable source of energy - conservative estimates claim there is enough gas there for 50 years (at current usage).
    Some experts claim that this has been under-estimated, & there is enough for 150 years.

However, there is concern about the environmental impact of the drilling, & the hydraulic method of extraction.

Also, there are health concerns, particularly with the possible contamination of the water table.

& then there are the earthquakes................

The US, who have been 'fracking' for some time now, have the lowest gas prices for the consumer in 10 years.

So, what do you reckon?
    Do the benefits outweigh the ills?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick
    Tags: None

Re: FRACKING - are you for it, or against it?

At the moment I feel that the beenfits out weigh the risks. As we move toward a less secure energy climate we should ensure that we know were energy can be got if needed . We should not really be looking at extracting more nonrenewables but changing the way we think about energy use . Not only should wee be trying to exploit tidal and wind (on shore and offshore) , there is also a place for nuclear power, particular,y in britain with it's stable geology . Most importantly weneed to looking at reducing energy demand , so Massive increases in insulation , an end to councils blocking high efficiency building because they l;ook odd . Campaigns to encourage people to live in cooler houses . A modification to the shops offices and railways act , at the moment I am encouaged by the department of environment to keep the house ant 18 c and told as I have lodgers I must keep the house at 20c. We should also discourage all air travel one of the most wasteful and polluting methaod of travel . With all these methods we should become more self sufficient in energy and be able to keep the shale gas reveves for our descendants who may be able to use them to rebuilt after the collapse .

Comment

The experts have indicated that there are also massive shale beds under the Irish Sea, which can be accessed by drilling diagonally from dry land.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

There is a lot of shale down here, in the South West. However, parts of the South West sit on a granite bed - Cornwall and Gloucestershire being two examples - and that decays, over a period of about 1,000 years, to become Uranium. Granite gives off Radon gas as it decomposes, which is known to be carcinogenic, unless dealt with correctly.

Before this government allows ANY further fracking or exploration, there MUST be THOROUGH AND COMPREHENSIVE geological studies of proposed extraction sites. Otherwise, we could be creating serious problems for this and future generations.
        Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

With the huge amount of money that will be up for grabs in the short term, I would imagine that any consultation would be.....er....a *considered* one!
          CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Which would be typical of this corrupt government, Charity. Personally, I think they're in a fracking rush to get things going.

[Sorry, guys, but I couldn't resist getting that pun in.]

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
              Which would be typical of this corrupt government, Charity. Personally, I think they're in a fracking rush to get things going.

[Sorry, guys, but I couldn't resist getting that pun in.]
              I agree with Bluebottle.

QCK

Comment

CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

It is clear that this is an enormous environmental disaster waiting to happen.

That will cut no ice however, as the politicians are rotten and their masters in big business insane. Indeed, their insanity is so complete that even the survival instinct has become corrupted - in order to secure a momentary advantage, they will saw off the branch upon which they are standing.

They are destroying the world on which they live, and they don't care.

Comment

There is a way to deal with corrupt politicians and governments. Comrade Cameron very kindly provided the electorate with the power to remove MPs by way of petition. I would recommend ALL electors now start petitions to remove the current tranche of MPs from the HoC and elect only independent MPs with no party associations or allegiances. Once done, the new parliament then needs to enact legislation to outlaw political parties and the whip system. It is very easy to manipulate government policy and laws when you are funding the dominant party and other parties in a parliament. If you have 650 individuals with no party allegiances, it is far more difficult to buy influence and manipulate policy and laws.

Comment

Fracking = energy self sufficiency = price stability/lower prices ?
                      I'm old enough to remember people being told nuclear power will make electricity so cheap it wouldn't even be worth metering !

Fracking (good or bad) will equal someone making money and the rest of us paying for it!

Comment

whatever happened to billions spent on renewable energy?

Wind farms for electricity (before we get the They are an eyesore and the NOOOOOISE.. I live within walking distance of a wind farm and they are graceful, elegant and the most noise you hear is SWOOSH every so often)

Hydro-electric dams for electricity.

Biomass etc..

Lets look in to whats to hand before we go underground!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X