• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

JR is dead: and this time the shower is off: RIP Larry Hagman

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JR is dead: and this time the shower is off: RIP Larry Hagman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20474197
    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)
    Tags: None

Re: JR is dead: and this time the shower is off: RIP Larry Hagman

The worst barstewards are played by the best actors. I REALLY hated that guy. JR, that is. I'd have lamped him if I met him in Tesco's.

He was brilliantly played by a bloke who had the same weaknesses as many of us. I do believe he had a part in "South Pacific" (alongside his mum ?)

Well...I saw Eric and Ernie - and a whole bunch of newsreaders when I saw it - but I didn't see Larry there.

Just goes to show you can't believe everything you're told.

I reckon he might well have been a nice guy in reality. The guys who play villains often are.

Comment

I admit to having a t-shirt saying "I shot JR"! As a "baddie" he was good.
      RIP Larry Hagman
      Never give up, Never surrender.

Comment

Rest in Peace to a man who played the worst man in the world, but was a teddy bear in reality.
        He will be sadly missed.

Comment

I own up to being a Dallas devotee, in fact in 1980 when the 'who shot JR' stuff was going on I was travelling to America for a short (what turned out to be a very long) holiday, and went to Dallas for the 'who did it' episode, it was sooooo exciting, and I did the tour of South Fork Ranch, excellent.

I was so, so excited when the recent series of Dallas came and every Wednesday I was glued to the TV, can't wait for the next series and see how they will write JR out.

Ok so just to explain, I went on holiday with a fiance, halfway through he became my EX fiance, I phoned my parents who were living in Perth, Australia who said no worries there's a plane ticket with your name on it when your ready, just hop over to Perth, I stayed a year msl:

Comment

He was a very kind, very genuine person in real life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj55FBQCB5M

I can't find one interview where he talks at length about his personal life, but I do remember he was a good man.

Comment

I can remember, my dad worked for the Mirror newspaper in Editorial and he was given a piece on how, for Children In Need Larry Hagman took the bucket round, full JR costume.. 10 gallon hat the works, and for every person that put money in he put in a bank note.

Dad was all set to send it to the Entertainment section, remember that in them days it was trendy to give to Charidee, and his phone rang.

A voice said "Hello, this is Mr Person, and I work for Mr Hagman. It has come to his attention that his donation to a UK charity was disclosed to your newspaper"
              Dad said he confirmed it, and was ready for "make sure and say it was a squillion pounds!" instead, and he told this story till the day he died, the aide said "Mr Hagman would be very grateful if you could see your way to NOT publicising it, he feels the charity is more important to him than the amount he donated."

Dad always called him, the Heartless Cowboy with the Heart of Gold.

Comment

Trust me to hear this news from LB - I am in shock! I must admit he was looking quite frail in the most recent Dallas episodes. RIP JR and god bless ............

Comment

one of the last true actors to go

peter falk, now larry hagman

will be sadly missed but preserved on celluloid for ever

Comment

I would add to the tributes already stated, he was filming in Dallas as JR for the upcoming series which is due out in the US in aprl/may time. I watched all the Dallas episodes and I think the loss of JR is not irreplaceable but it will be very interesting how they are able to explain his disappearance. Perhaps Clifford Barnes role might be expanded but I am sure of one thing. If they kill JR off then they will have one hell of a funeral because JR was Mr Dallas.

The original series of Dallas was to try and change the image of Dallas as the place that JFK was assassinated. Slightly odd that he died on the 49th anniversary of that shooting. His final episode will be shown in the year when we will mark 50 years since that infamous day and hopefully celebrate a series that revived the reputation of Dallas with the all the intrigue of brothers vying for the head of a massive corporation known as Ewing Oil. I hope that his loss will not stop the series from continuing onwards and upwards.
                    "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                    (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

A fantastic actor and he will be sorely missed.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...tqlKyRa6bmcjYA

Comment

I'm definitely 'not quite with it' at the moment,,I completely missed the announcement of his passing,RIP Mr Hagman,,,and I didn't know Limahl was gay! I really need to get more sleep lol

Comment

25 November 2012 Last updated at 10:24 Share this page

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20484740

Larry Hagman: Dallas to go on without JR

Fans paid their respects at Southfork Ranch in Texas, where Dallas was filmed
                          Continue reading the main story Related Stories

The new series of TV drama Dallas is to be rewritten to reflect the death of actor Larry Hagman, who played scheming oil tycoon JR Ewing.
                          Hagman, whose role as the stetson-wearing villain made him a global star in the 1980s, died on Friday aged 81.
                          He was on board when a new version of the show appeared earlier this year.
                          A statement from UK broadcaster Channel 5 said: "Dallas is midway in production on season two and this sad news will be incorporated into the storyline."
                          Hagman featured in a promotional video shot on the first day of filming for the new series and posted last month. The next season makes its premiere in the US on the TNT network on 28 January.

Ken Kercheval: "On-screen, we did what we did and we enjoyed doing that"

The show was resurrected in the summer, more than 20 years after the original ended, with Hagman starring alongside other original actors including Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray.
                          Gray was at Hagman's side when he passed away on Friday and described him as "my best friend for 35 years".
                          "He was the Pied Piper of life and brought joy to everyone he knew. He was creative, generous, funny, loving and talented and I will miss him enormously," she said. "He was an original and lived life to the full."
                          Ken Kercheval, who played Cliff Barnes, said the pair had "a great deal of fun" acting out their on-screen rivalry in the 1980s.
                          "That sparring back and forth, I think that's what kept the show going for as long as it did because everybody had to wait and see who was going to win and who was going to lose," he told BBC 5 live on Sunday.
                          Continue reading the main story “Start Quote
                          He is unforgettable, and irreplaceable, to millions of fans around the world”
                          End Quote Victoria Principal Pam Ewing
                          "JR was not a nice man. He was terrible. He was quite the opposite of Larry. Those characters are always fun to play and he played it to the hilt. Larry was one of a kind, he really was."
                          Michael Preece, who directed more than 60 episodes of Dallas and was a friend of Hagman, said the actor was always a pleasure to work with.
                          "Well, he was perfect," he told the BBC News channel. "Between Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray... they were all like directors.
                          "Larry did direct a lot of episodes, and you'd stage a scene, they would just stage it for you, he was terrific. And you try to get most of his work before lunch, because he was better in the morning - but he was great to be around, it was like a family."
                          Another original cast member, Victoria Principal, who played Pam Ewing, said Hagman had been "bigger than life, on-screen and off".
                          Hagman reportedly owned more than 2,000 cowboy hats
                          "He is unforgettable, and irreplaceable, to millions of fans around the world, and in the hearts of each of us, who was lucky enough to know and love him," she said.
                          During its original incarnation between 1978-91, Dallas was one of the CBS network's top-rated programmes and was watched by an estimated 300 million people in 57 countries.
                          Hagman's forthright biography Hello Darlin' detailed his youthful drug-taking exploits and revealed the extent of his 50-year battle with alcoholism.
                          Even on the hardworking set of Dallas, he consumed five bottles of champagne a day for years and was finally diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver in 1992.
                          Three years later he had a liver transplant and kept a photo of the organ donor above his mirror.
                          Despite this, Hagman continued to drink secretly until a further life-saving operation in 2003 forced him to stop.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X