• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Discussion on what peeps want from a meet up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Discussion on what peeps want from a meet up

I'll throw one in here - what about Coventry? It's close to Stratford Upon Avon which is a historic Town (but Coventry will be cheaper to stay at I imagine) I used to work down that way and there are quite a few touristy things Coventr, Stratford and Leamington Spa way. Just an idea to throw in the mix

Comment

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
      Labman thanks for all of that, you have just described everything that was done before the York meet lol.
      The York meet seems to have pleased most - if it works, why mend it? Tweak possibly, but not totally change.

I do think there's mileage in planning ahead a fair way though, so those who may feel it's too far know there's one coming their way soon.

Comment

We have also had Cardiff and Swansea suggested
        Normally the Cardiff train and the Swansea train are the same one

Edinburgh:

Quickest way is via Bristol.
        Train from Edinburgh change at Bristol Parkway then on to Cardiff and Swansea.
        Total journey time 7 hours roughly.
        Cheapest fare, Railcard £32
        No railcard: £48.50 single.
        To Swansea
        railcard : £54 single
        no railcard: £82 single

From Hull
        more difficult from Hull, change at Doncaster, Birmingham New Street and Bristol Parkway, taking 4 and a half hours roughly. you can go via sheffield and Bristol Parkway and this takes 5 and a half hours.
        Cheapest ticket is: railcard : single Hull to sheffield £13.35
        Sheffield to Cardiff £17.50
        No railcard: hull-sheffield £20
        Sheffield-Cardiff £25
        Sheffield to Swansea railcard: £17.50
        No Railcard £27

From London

REALLY easy, Paddington to Cardiff direct, same train to Swansea. bout 2 1/2 hours journey time.
        Fares to Cardiff:
        Cheapest ticket here, dont bother with a railcard, book well in advance, £11 each way.
        Swansea:
        Cheapest fare: £12.00 each way.

Manchester:
        Direct train to Cardiff and Swansea. journey time aprox 5hours roughly.
        Fares to Cardiff: Railcard £13.20 each way
        No railcard £20
        Swansea: Railcard 15.20
        No railcard: £23

From Newport
        Direct Service, journey time about an hour roughly.
        Fares to Cardiff: Railcard: £9.20
        No railcard: £14.

BLIMEY!! did i just type all that?!? I will now go and hibernate for a week before attempting to work out the coach links!

Please not ALL ABOVE PRICES ARE THE CHEAPEST AVAILABLE, AND ARE SUBJECT TO STRICT AVAILABLILTY. IF QUOTED WITH A RAILCARD, THE TICKETS ARE RAILCARD FRIENDLY!!

if I have not covered a convenient station, please let me know your location and I will look it up for you

Comment

Will investigate coventry when i get home with the kids Monz, any particular leaving point?

Comment

Middlesbrough/Darlington for me - would you like me to do the coach ones? I travel by National Express whenever I go anywhere and I don't mind?

Comment

that would be a great help Montz, as my "expertise" is in rail travel I will do a post of all destinations we have mentioned from Darlington, then carry on as normal

Comment

Okey Cokey - Coach Travel for and to places already mentioned. Please bear in mind that these journeys were for August (thought being high season we'd get worst case scenario on prices lol) the travel time and price may vary due to times travelled so I have picked the 1st coach leaving after 9am on a Friday and Sunday morning. They do say on the site that cheaper fares sell out quickly so all subject to availability etc etc. Although it's not going to suit everyone it will give a general idea of price and journey times for national express coaches. They do not include optional insurance or card booking fees (both of which are £1). They also will send the ticket to your mobile for an extra charge of 50p.

Edinburgh to - Coventry £63.30, takes 8-10 hours with 1 coach change.
                Swansea £91.40, takes 12-15 hours(!!!) with 1 change.
                Cardiff £76.80, takes 10 - 14 hours with 1 change.
                Brighton £61.60, takes 11-13 hours with 1 change.
                Chester £46.40, takes 9-10 hours with 1 change.
                Cambridge £51.50, 11hrs with 1 change.

Newport to - Coventry £32.30, 3-4 hrs with 1 change.
                Swansea £15.50, 1-2 hrs 0 change.
                Cardiff £6.50, 30 mins no change.
                Brighton £58.80, 5-7 hrs with 1 change.
                Chester £46.10, 4-6 hrs with 1 change.
                Cambridge £52, 7-8 hrs with 1 change.

London (Victoria) to -
                Coventry £20, 2-3hrs no change.
                Swansea £43.60, 4-5 hrs with 1 change.
                Cardiff £33.40, 3-4 hrs with no change.
                Brighton £20, 2-3 hrs with no change.
                Chester £28.50, 4-6 hrs with 1 change.
                Cambridge £18.60, 1-2 hrs with 0 change.

Hull to - Coventry £44.90, 5-8hrs with 1 change
                Cardiff £59.90, 5-7hrs with 1 change.
                Swansea £63.90, 8-9hrs with 1 change.
                Brighton £67.80, 9 hours, 1 change.
                Chester £30, 6-8 hrs with 1 change.
                Cambridge £44, 7-9hrs with 2 changes.

Manchester to - ​ Coventry £25.40, 3-4 hrs with 1 change.
                Cardiff £42.40, 5-7 hrs with 1 change.
                Swansea £46.40, 6-7 hrs with 2 changes.
                Brighton £61.00, 7-10 hrs with 1 change.
                Chester £10.50, 1-2 hrs 0 change.
                Cambridge £48, 6-7hrs with 1 change.

Middlesbrough to - Coventry £55.60 5-6 hrs with 1 change.
                Cardiff £81.40, 10-12 hrs with 1 change.
                Swansea £81, 9-12 hrs with 1 change.
                Brighton £54, 9-10 hours with 0 change.
                Chester £35.40, 5-7 hrs with 1 change.
                Cambridge £47, 7-8 hrs with 1 change.

National Express coaches also offer coach card discounts. They mostly have toilets on board and you can take your own (cold) food. They do usually stop somewhere on a long journey at a service station, and you have about half an hour to visit the 'facilities' and get a bite. However as we all know service stations are extortionate. Overall I have found them to be fairly comfortable, although any length of time on a coach will not be wonderful. Longest I have been on one is around 7 hours from Whitby to London (via half the world it seemed!) and although had a dose of the 'numb bum' it was bearable - especially as it was cheaper by far than the train at that time.
                Last edited by Monzter; 14th May 2012, 15:58:PM. Reason: add info

Comment

How bout from Glasgow?

Comment

Destination or your location hun?

Comment

• Re: Discussion on what peeps want from a meet up

Labman, that is exactly what we did for York, we have a group of us that worked like mad behind the scences, checking everything out and that worked like a huge success - we had something for everyone for those that could afford and for those that could not. We helped out where we could and put a lot of time and energy into the project which was enjoyed by everyone.It was never done on previous meets in so much detail with loads of love and care to make the 5th Birthday of LB really special.

This thread was started because people wanted to have a say - nothing has yet been decided and Puff Rose kindly offered to let people know costings etc for whatever and whenever we decide.

When we have decided there will be a thread and everyone as per usual will be very welcome to join us.

Puff Rose is doing a great job giving us some indications thats all.

Originally posted by labman View Post
                      For what it's worth, here's my thoughts as someone who's organised loads of trips for loads of groups, but never for LB, and I'll never go to a LB meet, not cos I don't want to, but for health reasons.

If I were doing this, I'd set up a small (5 people ish) working group. They'd need to consider:

1. You are NEVER going to please everyone, so don't try to in one meet. try to please everyone over say a 5 year period.

2. It will be attended by people who are wealthy, skint and everything in between, so there needs to be something for those people to do (Cultural and non Cultural).

3. If families are coming, there needs to be something for the children to do.

4. Evenings - pubs, clubs, cafes, theatres, barbecue on a beach? Something for all above groups.

5. Overnight - hotels, B&B's, possibly even ask other Beagles to accommodate a fellow Beagle if they can't afford any of the above.

6. Choose a series of venues for the next 5 years (not cast in stone, but so people can see there's something near them), choose one for now and go for it.

If people don't like the venue, tough - go to another one. If they do, great! You'll never please everyone, and if you try you'll never have another meet.

That's from someone who knows now that I won't be able to attend, so in a way am totally impartial. I respect those who feel that if I can't attend I should not be saying anything, but you know me!

Comment

I've started off a seperate thread so we can have the prices and journey plans all in the same place.
                        Keep up the suggestions guys

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...-cities-so-far

Comment

People have been throwing about dates etc, can we all list dates we cannot do please

Me:
                          10th June (no 1 sons bday)
                          12th August (daughters bday)
                          28th Jan (no 2 sons bday)
                          26th October (wedding aniversary)

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
                            For what it's worth, here's my thoughts as someone who's organised loads of trips for loads of groups, but never for LB, and I'll never go to a LB meet, not cos I don't want to, but for health reasons.

If I were doing this, I'd set up a small (5 people ish) working group.
                            Hi Labman--mate

Yep--thats what we did

see here:

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/showthread.php?32286-LB-Meet-Spring-2012-YORK-LB-s-5th-Birthday!!&p=263244#post263244

Nice words Tutts---but I'm only the Front Man on this thread (bit like Freddie Mercury-lol)

However, behind the scenes "in another place"--"Team York" (Tuttsi Bill & Sapphire) been beavering away chivving people and liasing with Celestine while I test the beers--lol Tutts

• Helping to decide the itinerary from various options I put to 'em
                            • Producing Flyers--well done Sapphy & Bill--and Bill also the senior sounding board
                            • Getting quotes & ordering little "gift surprises"---full car Tutts-pmsl
                            • Helium Balloons for publicity at the pubs
                            • Tutts especially looking after liason with Hilton for the Birthday Dinner--& woe betide the chef if gets the cake icing wrong--lol

Comment

FWIW, I think it's encouraging to see that 'Team York's' approach concurs with others' - and it's great to see Puff and Monz adding their talents to the mix for next time. Onwards and upwards, as they say !!! All good stuff.

Comment

if there are any other ideas of where you want it held shout of me, and any locations I have forgotten.. my "skills" are at your disposal.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X