• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Discussion on what peeps want from a meet up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Discussion on what peeps want from a meet up

Cheers, Puff. I need to check out Railcards, as I'm 60+, but not 65 yet. And if I get a cheap online early-booked ticket, then I'm not sure if having a Railcard will help.

Comment

Railcard is valid for anyone over 60 years old, male or female.

I did both for you hun, advance and with the card, its cheaper to buy the railcard and get the discount in the long run as those prices are one way.. return is basically double.

Comment

Cheers babes. I'll check out Railcard in that case, as I think I need to weigh up the upfront cost against the anticipated usage and discount.

Comment

Please, please don't go getting excited yet, we havn't decided anything yet, we'll let you know were and when as and when we can.

Comment

Indeed, Sapphire. We're just kicking balls around ATM, but I've been learning stuff from these general examples we've been looking at, and it's been interesting to hear from someone who has worked in rail travel. But - point taken - nothing actually gets 'decided' here. It's just a thread for inputting suggestions, after all.

Comment

Yes agreed Bill and all ideas welcome, just don't want anyone to get disappointed.

Comment

Brighton from everywhere basically is do-able, but the price goes up travelling via london.
                I looked up stoke too...
                from Edinburgh its change at Manchester, Newport its direct, London direct, Manchester direct.

London is basically near enough direct from anywhere

Blackpool
                from newport you change at Manchester, Edinburgh change at preston... pretty simples. *meerkat squeak*.

I know I havent done the East coast really, but I need some locations there please

Comment

Puff can you please do options for Brighton and Chester ie by Rail, coach etc and maybe avoiding London if possible.

Comment

certainly. I'll quote with and without railcards, may I remind you, if you are confined to a wheelchair or accompanying someone blind you automatically qualify for a discounted fare, take proof of disablity please.
                    If you are epileptic, you qualify for a disabled railcard.

Brighton:

from Edinburgh:
                    Quickest route, Edinburgh to king x then Victoria to Brighton. total journey time approx 6 hours.
                    They allow you an hour for the underground, you wont need it, there are 2 lines to Victoria, Victoria Line and Circle line, Victoria line is a bit quicker. I estimate about 25 mins is all you need and trains to Brighton are very regular.
                    Fare for this journey :
                    Railcard: advance single aprox £45 (subject to availablity)
                    No railcard: Advance single aprox £68

Not London:
                    Edinburgh change at Watford and Clapham Junction.
                    Journey time : aprox 7 hours
                    cheapest fare: railcard aprox £91 single.
                    no railcard: £130 aprox..

Cheapest way to buy a ticket...
                    Railcard: Single to Watford Junction = £79 (subject to availability) single watford to Brighton £4.95
                    no railcard: edinburgh to watford: £90
                    watford to brighton £10.

From Newport

From Newport the easiest way is change at Southampton.. aprox 4 1/2 hours
                    Other than that you go Newport-Paddington underground to Victoria then on to brighton.. about 3 1/2 hours.
                    From Paddington on the underground you have, Circle Line and District Line. about 25mins roughly.

Fares: Via London.
                    Railcard: cheapest fare £9.25 single (subject to availability)
                    No railcard:£14 single
                    Not London:
                    Railcard £9.25
                    No railcard: £14.

From London
                    Victoria to Brighton direct
                    Fares: Railcard £3.30 single
                    Non Railcard £5

For this journey, people within the M25 are advised to ask about a Network Railcard this can give you up to 1/3 off journeys within the network rail area (please see thumbnail) cost of card: £28 and is valid for a year.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Hurricane Puffrose; 14th May 2012, 10:53:AM. Reason: adding thumbnail.

Comment

My niece is making a trip to Nottingham with two little children they have arranged for a meet and greet at St Pancras to help her and the luggage and have reserved a table for her and the same at the other end to help her off. I did not know you could do this.

Comment

yeh they are good on MML.
                        Does she know about family railcards tuttsi?
                        £20 for a year, her and her partner/friend whatever get 1/3 off the price and children over 5 go for £2 each (up to 4 kids)

Comment

Been asked for Hull and Manchester too.. if non of these are applicable to you, please let me know your location and I will work this out for you

Brighton:
                          From Hull:
                          Via London is possibly the easiest for you.
                          Hull to Doncaster, Doncaster to Kings x.. walk across the road (yes literally) to St Pancras and direct to Brighton. takes about 5 hours all in.
                          Cheapest fare again is a single.
                          Railcard: £24
                          No Railcard: £37.50
                          Not London: Change at Doncaster and Reading and takes aprox 7 hours.
                          Fares: Railcard: £22.75
                          No Railcard: £34.75

From Manchester:
                          Via London: Change at Milton Keynes and Clapham Junction.
                          Total Journey about 4 1/2 hours.
                          Fare: Railcard: £22.10 single
                          No railcard: £33.10 single.
                          Interestingly enough this is the only way I have found avoiding Euston and Victoria.

Comment

Chester:

From Edinburgh

For Bill it will be easiest to travel by bus free to Carlislie and then change at Warrington. I don't know journey time to carlislie via bus hun, but the entire journey (edinburgh change at Carlislie and Warrington) takes about 4 hours all in all
                            Total fare from Edinburgh with a railcard is: £35 single
                            No railcard £53

From Carlisle with railcard £33
                            No railcard: £51

Cheapest way is singles from carlisle to warrington, (£36 no railcard) then warrington to Chester (£10) remember you will get 1/3 off with a railcard.
                            Obviously going via London is ridiculous!!

From Hull:
                            Very simple. Change at Manchester Piccadilly for chester, total journey time about 3 hours roughly.
                            Fares: Railcard £16 single
                            No railcard: £24
                            Cheapest tickets are a single to Manchester (£11 no railcard) and single to chester (£11) again, you will get 1/3 off this with a railcard.
                            Again, going via London would be just plain silly!!

From London:
                            Direct from Euston, cheapest ticket with railcard £7.90
                            no railcard £12

From Manchester
                            Direct to Chester,
                            The cheapest ticket is on journeys via Altringham. £9.40 return with a railcard. (14.20 without)

From Newport:

Incredibly easy! Direct service taking aprox 2 2/2 hours.
                            Fares: Railcard £7.90 single is your cheapest ticket
                            No railcard: £12 single.
                            You can go via London, but tbh it puts over 2 hours on your journey and about another £40 on your fare..

Comment

For what it's worth, here's my thoughts as someone who's organised loads of trips for loads of groups, but never for LB, and I'll never go to a LB meet, not cos I don't want to, but for health reasons.

If I were doing this, I'd set up a small (5 people ish) working group. They'd need to consider:

1. You are NEVER going to please everyone, so don't try to in one meet. try to please everyone over say a 5 year period.

2. It will be attended by people who are wealthy, skint and everything in between, so there needs to be something for those people to do (Cultural and non Cultural).

3. If families are coming, there needs to be something for the children to do.

4. Evenings - pubs, clubs, cafes, theatres, barbecue on a beach? Something for all above groups.

5. Overnight - hotels, B&B's, possibly even ask other Beagles to accommodate a fellow Beagle if they can't afford any of the above.

6. Choose a series of venues for the next 5 years (not cast in stone, but so people can see there's something near them), choose one for now and go for it.

If people don't like the venue, tough - go to another one. If they do, great! You'll never please everyone, and if you try you'll never have another meet.

That's from someone who knows now that I won't be able to attend, so in a way am totally impartial. I respect those who feel that if I can't attend I should not be saying anything, but you know me!

Comment

Labman thanks for all of that, you have just described everything that was done before the York meet lol.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X