• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

LB Meet-Spring 2012--YORK - LB's 5th Birthday!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LB Meet-Spring 2012--YORK - LB's 5th Birthday!!

Ok so as Turbs has requested I have got some times together I'll add the price so it's all in one place -

Boat trips (York boat co) - they go about every 30/40 mins and costs £7.50 for adults, £6.50 concessions and £3.50 for children for about 45 mins.

The Ice factor is out I'm afraid it closed on 8th Jan lol oops is only a Christmas thing apparently.

York Brewery - Adults £6, seniors £5.00, kids £3.50 - the tours go every hour and a half so I'm reckoning on an hour for that one, takes about 10 mins from Parliament Street to the brewery.

Open top bus tours around York from what I can gather around an hour there are prices in my earlier post but they are only for the one company there are other companies.

York Horror Tour Adults £5, kids £2.50 but it says depending on events prices may vary. This starts at The Golden Fleece 6.45pm (2 mins walk from Parliament St) or from The Guy Fawkes Inn, High Petergate at 7pm (5 mins from Parliament Street which I am now going to call HQ lol)

Jorvic is (adults)
    £9.25 for just Jorvic
    £16 for the pass to DIG, Barley Hall and Micklegate Bar,
    £13.25 Jorvic and DIG
    £12.50 for Jorvic and Barley Hall
    £11.75 Jorvic and Micklegate Bar

All under 15 mins walk from HQ and is open 10am to 4pm, from memory it lasts around an hour but pre booking is probably a good idea as there are usually queues a mile long.

Will do the Minster etc tomorrow

Comment

Well done Monz

I also have seen the queues for Jorvik centre

I think (imo) this is the jewel in York's Crown (after the Minster) so I will be proposing we all visit that as a group on Sat afternoon--in between pre and post meet-ups

Can you look at Castle Museum-in particular the Street Scene & the Sixties theme (for us on concessions--lol)

Turbs

ps--in York today-but Oporto called to hospital to check out his op he had last week---so we will rearrange sometime in next few weeks----but we are working by pm too re meet locations

Comment

I am really impressed with the background work you guys are all doing for us with regards to this meet. I cannot wait York sounds a really fab place to visit and now wonder why in all the years I have never ventured to that location as it sounds like a really special city in the UK with lots of history.

Turbs and Monzer just wonder if any of the venues we can prebook to save queuing as we did in London with the HOC.

Comment

Yep Tutts---2nd Tourist City in UK

I posted this earlier--but here it is again

Originally posted by TUTTSI View Post
          I am really impressed with the background work you guys are all doing for us with regards to this meet. I cannot wait York sounds a really fab place to visit and now wonder why in all the years I have never ventured to that location as it sounds like a really special city in the UK with lots of history.

Turbs and Monzer just wonder if any of the venues we can prebook to save queuing as we did in London with the HOC.
          Well done Monz

I also have seen the queues for Jorvik centre

I think (imo) this is the jewel in York's Crown (after the Minster) so I will be proposing we all visit that as a group on Sat afternoon--in between pre and post meet-ups

Can you look at Castle Museum-in particular the Street Scene & the Sixties theme (for us on concessions--lol)

Turbs

ps--in York today-but Oporto called to hospital to check out his op he had last week---so we will rearrange sometime in next few weeks----but we are working by pm too re meet locations

Comment

Ok I've booked.

We've been to York before and have done the Yorvik centre trip its well worth going to and so very interesting, we're not that bothered about going again though, so what we are planning on doing is arranging (hopefully) to meet our ex business partners for a spot of lunch and catchup/chew/thrash out a few things that have needed to be addressed for the last few years, god knows if they will agree to meet as there is a small matter of a few thousand quid owed to us (long story, don't ask).
            Anyways looking forward to seeing you all there.
            And yes Celestine I do still have my 'Off the leash and on the lash' T-Shirt msl:

Comment

Just like to add info to what has been posted The Railway Museum is free and a short walk from the Yorkshire Wheel which is situated in the grounds of the Royal York Hotel. The Bar walls which circle the City is a great chance to view York from another angle and is a 2/3 mile walk.
              The river cruise (you will have to check times and dates) goes as far as a village called Acaster Malbis where you can stop for lunch at the The Ship Inn before the return journey to the City. This goes past the Archbishop of York's palace which is also situated on the riverbank.

Other attractions/buildings (some less known) include;

York Art Gallery- free admission
              Cliffords Tower
              St Williams College
              York Glaziers Trust
              The Shambles
              The Mansion House
              Treasurers House
              Kings Manor
              Merchant Adventurers Hall
              The Quilt Museum
              Yorkshire Museum
              St Marys Abbey

Finally a couple of Recommended Pubs along with the York Brewery Pubs and Tour!

The Maltings Pub
              http://www.maltings.co.uk/index.htm
              The Snickleway Inn
              York Traditional Pubs | The Snickleyway Inn | Lager, Bitter and Cask Ales

Comment

Are you coming along to the meet to join us Main Man?

Sounds like you are from the local area.

Originally posted by Main man View Post
                Just like to add info to what has been posted The Railway Museum is free and a short walk from the Yorkshire Wheel which is situated in the grounds of the Royal York Hotel. The Bar walls which circle the City is a great chance to view York from another angle and is a 2/3 mile walk.
                The river cruise (you will have to check times and dates) goes as far as a village called Acaster Malbis where you can stop for lunch at the The Ship Inn before the return journey to the City. This goes past the Archbishop of York's palace which is also situated on the riverbank.

Other attractions/buildings (some less known) include;

York Art Gallery- free admission
                Cliffords Tower
                St Williams College
                York Glaziers Trust
                The Shambles
                The Mansion House
                Treasurers House
                Kings Manor
                Merchant Adventurers Hall
                The Quilt Museum
                Yorkshire Museum
                St Marys Abbey

Finally a couple of Recommended Pubs along with the York Brewery Pubs and Tour!

The Maltings Pub
                http://www.maltings.co.uk/index.htm
                The Snickleway Inn
                York Traditional Pubs | The Snickleyway Inn | Lager, Bitter and Cask Ales

Comment

Yes Tuttsi lived within the City Walls for many years before moving away from the area but I do return frequently... This map may come in useful lol

If anyone wants any information on York feel free to ask!
                  Last edited by Main man; 27th January 2012, 23:12:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Main man View Post
                    Yes Tuttsi lived within the City Walls for many years before moving away from the area but I do return frequently...

If anyone wants any information on York feel free to ask!
                    Thanks MainMan----I will raise discussion with you tomorrow if I may----just got to get next post off-then bed-lol

Comment

Got more photos for you tomorrow + discussion re meet locations so far---both + and -

Went to information centre---they will send you stuff--

>Edited<

We will then kick it about during the whole of February until we got an idea of people's preferences-----obviously we all ain't going to the same attractions-but there will be commonality amongst some

I see my job as to

• get the info to you with my helper Monz
                      • co-ordinate the feedback
                      • arrange the common meeting places and the times of common meeting places

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway---I got drenched in a torrential downpour at information centre ---Mo in M&S dry as a bone

(btw M&S ginormous with 4 large floors plus a further Home M&S opposite Jorvik Centre)

Soooooo--top floor M&S - everyone sympathetic to my soaking and we got talking to a couple who live near the walls

The say---Ghost Walks a rip-off ----reccommend the 9:15 evening boat cruise---floodlit with bar and music

I've crossed the pub attached to the Hilton off the list (J D Bean)---smelly,empty and layout not conducicive to socializing--

My Short list currently is
                      • Three Tuns-meals around £8:00-had Thai Curry today
                      • Yates Wine Bar (overlooking river)
                      • Wetherspoons (500 yds from Hilton-opposite Cel's hotel)
                      • Stonegate Yard-recc by the couple-not been in--any views Main Man?

Had a drink in Hilton--pint of Murphy's £3.70----125 ml chardonnay £7 or £30 a bottle !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics attached of Visitors Guide and inside of Three Tuns

Click image for larger version

Name:	149.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1155149

Last edited by Curlyben; 8th February 2012, 22:17:PM.

Comment

For future reference, when planning a meet location, can it be near an airport? I fly to Heathrow, Gatwick, Glasgow, Birmingham, Newcastle and Manchester.

Comment

I am now more than likely to be in York for the weekend. The only problem at the moment is accommodation because it appears to be very expensive to stay anywhere close in York(I am trying to do the Friday as well as Saturday) but the difficulty is finding reasonable priced digs which does not mean spending stack loads of dosh which I don't have......
                          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

What about the guest house that Monz has booked, aparently that is not too bad price wise?

Have you also looked at this web site http://www.booking.com/searchresults..._ajaxsearch2=1

I found they are advertising two nights single room in guest houses in the town still available and not too over priced. Some of the hotels are a little more expensive. But you will find something reasonably priced. Let us know when you have booked.

For intance Queen Annes Guest house £68 for 2 nights http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/quee...b35f759e4ffX56

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
                            I am now more than likely to be in York for the weekend. The only problem at the moment is accommodation because it appears to be very expensive to stay anywhere close in York(I am trying to do the Friday as well as Saturday) but the difficulty is finding reasonable priced digs which does not mean spending stack loads of dosh which I don't have......

Comment

Originally posted by Monzter View Post
                              I have booked my accommodation Bootham Gardens looks very nice and very resonable for single occupancy and best still I could reserve the room and not pay he whole lot straight away

Ooooooh I'm getting excited now
                              Well, I'll be just down the road from you in the York Lodge........so I guess you'd better put me on the confirmed list of people going to this one..........ermmm, I need to say at the offset that I am unfortunately not going to be drinking a drop of alcohol that weekend cos I'm trying something called the GI Diet and that means that alcohol in phase 1 is out of the question so if anyone wants me to crash their car then I will be able to drive it(I'm coming on the train myself so that will be enjoyable!!!)
                              ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                              And I'll be there from Friday 4th May so there had better be something worth doing that night otherwise I have the joys of Wi-Fi for the evening :o
                              Last edited by leclerc; 28th January 2012, 10:55:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                              (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Contrails View Post
                                For future reference, when planning a meet location, can it be near an airport? I fly to Heathrow, Gatwick, Glasgow, Birmingham, Newcastle and Manchester.
                                Sorry, guv'nor, but I reckon you'll need to book a place on the charabanc to Leeds International Airstrip from Manchester or Newcastle. You WILL learn to love ferrets on the journey - just bring a clothespeg !!!

PS. I take it you have seen the Yorkshire Airlines ad, as posted by M. Leclerc recenty ?
                                Last edited by Bill-K; 28th January 2012, 11:19:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X